Prince Edward Island Sport Hosting Program
What is the Sport Hosting Program?
The sport hosting program provides grants to organizations hosting International, National, and Inter-Provincial /Territorial sports events as well as select signature sport events that advance the vision and priorities of the Department of Health and Wellness and enhance the profile of the province.
What are the Goals of the Program?
- To assist events to achieve a financial break-even status, it is not intended to assist projects achieve a financial surplus. Should a surplus occur the applicant must submit a plan for how the surplus will be re-invested back into their sport.
- To increase development opportunities for PEI athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers
- To increase the capacity of our sport system through legacy development through hosting
- To raise the profile of sport in the province
Who is eligible?
- Provincial Sport Organizations in good standing with Sport PEI and /or their respective recognized National Sport Organization.
- Incorporated “not for profit” organizations designated as the host organization of the event by the PSO/NSO.
How much funding can an organization apply for?
- National Events-Championships (Sport Canada NSO Sanctioned Events, CIS, CCAA) -- Up to a maximum $3,000
- Eastern Canadian,/Atlantic Championships -- Up to a maximum $750
- Signature Events (Events selected on their ability to contribute to increased participation, excellence, capacity) -- Up to maximum $350
How do I apply for the program?
- Complete an application form
- Insurance all supporting documents as listed on the form are included
- If funding is approved, applicants must complete a plan to identify how any surplus will be spent
What criteria will be used to review the application?
- Size and Scope of the event
- Contribution to Sport Development
- Profile the sport will generate
- Legacy of the event
Are there any deliverables required by successful applicants?
- Funding recipients must work with the Department of Health and Wellness, Sport, Recreation and Physical Activity Division to develop an appropriate strategy for recognizing the funding contribution of the province. The strategy may include, among other items the following:
- Visual recognition of the Province by way of appropriate signage, government word mark placement on print material and website.
- Public announcements, recognition in media, public service announcements during event
- Government representation in event ceremonies, messages in event programs
- Promotional opportunities, program ad space (provided by organizing committee) display booths, inserts in participating packages.
- Other items may also be considered in collaboration and agreement with the Department
Is there a deadline to submit an application?
No, the intake is open however there are limited funds in this program so once the resources are exhausted, applicants may need to wait for the next fiscal year.
Must I pay an application fee to apply?
There is no fee to apply.
Telephone: (902) 368-4789
Fax: (902) 368-4224