Report a Food-Borne Illness (Food Poisoning)

Reporting an issue of suspected food poisoning to Environmental Health may help control a possible food-borne illness outbreak. When two or more people experience the same symptoms of illness from consuming the same food or drink, the event is called a food-borne outbreak.  Environmental health officers will investigate cases of food-borne illness and outbreaks to identify the source, to control them, to prevent further illness, and to learn how to prevent similar outbreaks from happening in the future.

To report a suspected food poisoning, please call 902-368-4970 (Toll Free: 1-800-958-6400).

How do I know if I have food poisoning?

Common symptoms of a food-borne illness include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever and chills. Food-borne illness can happen suddenly, days or even weeks after consuming contaminated food. Symptoms can range from mild to serious and may last from a few hours to several days.

Should I seek medical attention if I have food poisoning?

Most people recover from food-borne illness on their own without treatment. Some people are at greater risk of developing severe symptoms or complications. If you require medical attention:

  • contact your doctor;
  • visit a local health clinic; or
  • call 911 if you feel it is an emergency.
Published date: 
May 2, 2017
Health and Wellness

General Inquiries

Environmental Health
2nd Floor Sullivan Building
Fitzroy Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: 902-368-4970
Toll Free: 1-800-958-6400