Same-Day Travel Self-Isolation Exemptions for PEI Residents
PEI residents should only travel off Island if necessary. Use alternative ways to conduct necessary business where at all possible.
If you are a PEI resident and you must travel to other provinces for same-day essential travel, you may do so without having to self-isolate upon return, if certain conditions are met.
Examples of Essential Travel:
- Medical or dental appointments
- Child custody related travel
- Picking-up students following the Transporting Travellers to Self-Isolation Location Guidance
- Dropping students off at Atlantic Canadian universities, provided that individuals returning to PEI do not enter dormitories or other places of residence
- Dropping a passenger off at Halifax or Moncton airport and immediately returning home to PEI
- Essential activities involving very brief, physically distant interaction with others, such as transportation, delivery, and pick-up of goods (drop-off of gifts is not an essential reason for travel)
You may Travel for Essential Purposes without having to Self-Isolate upon Return, if you:
- Return to Prince Edward Island on the same day as you departed
- Are not traveling via public transit such as commercial plane, bus or shuttle
- Do not stay overnight
- Do not shop
- Do not visit public places such as shopping malls and restaurants
- Do not visit friends or family
- Do not attend meetings, conferences, or events
- Wear a non-medical mask when outside of your vehicle
- Pack a lunch where possible, or if not possible, use drive-through options
- Use pay at pump where possible if you need gas
- Adhere to all public health measures in the jurisdiction you are visiting
- Note that it is permitted to visit public restrooms while travelling, provided you wear a mask and observe all relevant public health measures.
If you take regular same-day trips within Atlantic Canada, you are advised to get tested weekly as an additional precaution.
If you travel outside of PEI, you must familiarize yourself with the rules of entry of the province or territory you are entering.
Keep your Confederation Bridge or Northumberland Ferry receipt to verify your departure time and to confirm it was a same day trip and within a reasonable period of time.