Transporting Individuals in Self-Isolation Guidance
There are some circumstances where a PEI resident must provide transportation for someone required to self-isolate (such as taking someone to a testing clinic.
If it is necessary to provide transportation for someone who must self-isolate, the following precautions are advised:
- If a business or organization, driver and passengers must wear masks (if not a business or organization e.g. family member taking another family member to a testing clinic, masks should be worn to limit exposure and to not be identified as a close contact).
- Maintain physical distancing as much as possible. Passengers should sit in the back seats only. If transporting one passenger, they should sit in the back, passenger side of the vehicle. The front passenger seat should be vacant at all times. This may mean limiting the number of passengers you transport at one time, and may require additional trips. Passengers with special needs who require a companion may sit next to their companion (treated as if they were from the same household).
- Clean your hands before you pick-up your passengers with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Encourage passengers to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before entering the vehicle, and ask passengers to avoid touching the interior of the vehicle as much as possible. Where applicable, passengers should load and unload their personal belongings (e.g., bags,suitcases, briefcases) by themselves.
- Open the vehicle windows (weather permitting) and use the vents of the vehicle to bring in fresh air from outside. Avoid using the recirculated air option of the vehicle.
- Clean your hands with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer again when the passenger is delivered to the isolation destination and wash hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as soon as possible.
- Clean and disinfect hard surfaces in your vehicle with disinfecting wipes, paying close attention to surfaces that are touched frequently (eg., door handles, seat belt buckles, buttons for windows and locks, arm rests, cup holders, etc.