Abortion Services are offered in Prince Edward Island and out-of-province at the Moncton Hospital in New Brunswick and the QEII in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
How do I access Abortion Services?
There are three options for accessing abortion services:
Women’s Wellness Program (Prince County Hospital) – Summerside, PE
- You must be no more than 12 weeks pregnant. Your pregnancy and dating will be confirmed by clinic staff through blood test and ultrasound. For abortions greater than 12 weeks, program staff can work with you to consider your options.
- Call the Women’s Wellness Program at 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to speak with a staff member or to make an appointment.
The Moncton Hospital – Moncton, NB
- You must be no more than 14 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should contact the Moncton Hospital, as early as possible.
- Island women can call the Moncton Hospital at 1-844-806-9205 to set up an appointment. No referral is necessary.
- You will be asked to present your valid PEI Health Card to obtain this service.
QEII – Halifax, NS
- You must be no more than 16 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should seek a physician referral, as early as possible.
- A referral must be obtained through a PEI physician. The Termination of Pregnancy Unit at the QEII can also help with a referral. They can be reached by calling (902) 473-7072.
- Once your referral has been submitted, it will be approved within 48 hours by the Out-of-Province Coordinator.
Will I have to pay for the out-of-province abortion service?
In general, you are responsible for your travel to and from the out-of-province hospital. You may be eligible to apply for one of Health PEI's Travel Support Programs. For more information, call (902) 368-5918 or e-mail email@example.com.
Please note: Abortion procedures performed at private clinics are not covered by the province.
What other support is offered?
The Women’s Wellness Program provides reproductive and sexual health services for Islanders. The program is committed to providing safe, confidential and supportive services to all clients. The following services are currently being offered:
- Birth control including IUD insertion;
- Counselling regarding pregnancy options, follow-up and support; and
- Surgical abortions.
Over the coming months, the following services will be added:
- Community-based sexual health services (coming in March 2017);
- Bleeding in early pregnancy;
- Information, navigation and coordination of fertility services;
- Menopause care;
- Prenatal care for women without a family doctor or nurse practitioner; and
- Post-partum mental health services.
Island women are encouraged to contact the program at 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to speak with program staff. Wherever you choose to seek abortion services, the Women’s Wellness Program can provide support and answer any questions you may have.
For emergency care, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.
Who can I contact for more information?
Women’s Wellness Program
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2A9
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-6516