Abortion Services are offered in Prince Edward Island through the Women's Wellness Program and out-of-province at the Moncton Hospital in New Brunswick and the QEII in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
How do I access Abortion Services?
There are three options for accessing abortion services:
Women’s Wellness Program (medical and surgical abortions) – Summerside, PE
- Medical abortion: You must be no more than 9 weeks pregnant.
- Surgical abortion: You must be no more than 12 weeks and 6 days pregnant.
- For abortions greater than 12 weeks and 6 days, program staff can work with you to consider your options.
- Call the Women’s Wellness Program at 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to speak with a staff member or to make an appointment.
- Pregnancy dating will be determined using information about your last period, as well as, urine or blood tests, and ultrasounds.
The Moncton Hospital (surgical abortion) – Moncton, NB
- You must be no more than 14 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should contact the Moncton Hospital, as early as possible.
- Island women can call the Moncton Hospital at 1-844-806-9205 to set up an appointment. No referral is necessary.
- You will be asked to present your valid PEI Health Card to obtain this service.
QEII (surgical abortion) – Halifax, NS
- You must be no more than 16 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should seek a physician referral, as early as possible.
- A referral must be obtained through a PEI physician. The Termination of Pregnancy Unit at the QEII can also help with a referral. They can be reached by calling (902) 473-7072.
- Once your referral has been submitted, it will be approved within 48 hours by the Out-of-Province Coordinator.
If I have an abortion out-of-province, will I have to pay?
In general, you are responsible for your travel to and from the out-of-province hospital. You may be eligible to apply for one of Health PEI's Travel Support Programs. For more information, call (902) 368-5918 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Abortion procedures performed at private clinics are not covered by the province.
What other support is offered?
A range of reproductive health programs for women and sexual health services to Islanders of all genders, orientations and ages is offered through the Women's Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services. The program is committed to providing safe, confidential and supportive services to all clients.
Island women are encouraged to contact the program at 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to speak with program staff. Wherever you choose to seek abortion services, the Women’s Wellness Program can provide support and answer any questions you may have.
For emergency care, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.
Who can I contact for more information?
Women’s Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)
Telephone: (902) 368-6516