Addiction and Substance Use Services


Addiction and substance use services are offered as part of the health care system – through tele-health, in community-based health facilities and in hospitals across the province – as well as by other government departments and community partners.

A range of addiction and substance use programs have been designed to help you through the various stages of recovery. Addiction and substance use services are closely aligned with mental health services to ensure that individuals living with an addiction or substance use concerns and a mental health disorder receive coordinated care. If you or someone you know has an addiction or substance use problem, PEI's trained health care professionals can help.

Need Help Now?

Mental Health and Addictions Phone Line
Calls are answered by trained mental health professionals (a registered nurse or a social worker) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Addiction and Substance Use Walk-in/Call-in Clinics offer immediate support – 45 to 60 minute session with a trained counsellor – to Islanders from the comfort of their home without requiring an appointment. 

Provincial Addiction Treatment Facility: (902) 368-4120 

  • Wednesday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (noon)
  • Thursday: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.

Summerside: (902) 888-8180

  • Tuesday: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
  • Thursday: 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (noon)

Kids Help Phone
1-800-668-6868 (toll-free)
Available 24 hours, seven days a week

The Island Helpline
1-800-218-2885 (toll-free)
Available 24-hours, seven days a week

Bridge the gapp
An online resource designed to support mental wellness

Farmers Talk 
1-800-736-8006 (toll-free)
Provides confidential, professional counselling services to farmers and farm families struggling with stress, anxiety, depression and other mental health and substance use concerns. 

Fisher Assistance Program
(902) 626-9787 or (902) 786-4656 
Provides confidential, professional counselling services to fishers, crew members, and their families that affect mental health and personal well-being. The service is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Aquaculture Farm Assistance Program
(902) 626-9787 
Provides confidential, professional counselling services to aquaculture farmers, their families and certain farm employees that affect mental health and personal well-being. The service is available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week. 

Public Safety Calls 
Provides free, confidential mental health, addiction and substance use supports for current and former public safety personnel in PEI, including first responders. Self-refer online. 

Other helpful resources: 

For help finding your way through the health care system, reach out to the Mental Health and Addictions Patient Navigator by emailing 

Where can I call to get immediate help?

Call 1-888-299-8399 (toll-free) or speak with your health-care provider. In the case of an addiction or substance use emergency, call 9-1-1

What services are available for my child/youth?

There are several programs available to you and your family if you are impacted by addiction or substance use problem. You can call the Community Addiction Services office in your area for more information. 

What services are available for adults? 

Depending on your addiction or substance use concern, support is available at each stage of your recovery – withdrawal, rehabilitation, living recovery and individual counselling.  

To access services:

What services are available to Veterans and eligible members of the Canadian Forces and RCMP?

The PEI Operational Stress Injury (OSI) satellite site in Stratford provides specialized mental health and addiction/substance use services to Veterans, eligible members of the Canadian Forces and RCMP, who are encountering difficulties as a result of service-related psychological injury and traumatic events. Treatment at the OSI site is provided by an interdisciplinary team of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and mental Health nurses. For more information, please call (902) 367-7075

What if I don’t feel ready to go home after treatment? 

When you are well enough to leave the treatment centre, you may need to stay in a residence that offers support in a chemical-free environment until you feel stronger and healthier.  

Programs are available at:

  • Talbot House: A residence for men that provides a safe, structured environment and support while working towards maintaining a chemical-free lifestyle.
  • Lacey House: Provides a 24 hour supervised, therapeutic, safe, structured home-like environment to assist women in maintaining a chemical-free lifestyle.
  • St. Eleanor’s House: Provides a home-like environment for men in need of extended support after initial addiction treatment.

What support is offered for families?

Family addiction and substance use programs are designed to meet the needs of those who have a loved one struggling with an addiction or substance use. The programs have trained individuals who understand the impact of addiction, and substance use, and the hurt and anger that family and friends might be feeling. Through participation in one-on-one counseling and group education sessions, participants will come to better understand addiction and begin to recover from the impact it has on them.  

When admitted to the inpatient withdrawal management unit, patients are given the option to give consent for a family counsellor to contact their family to offer counseling and support. 

Programs include:

  • Community Reinforcement and Family Training (CRAFT):  Offered in both group and individual sessions across the province, CRAFT is an evidence-based program for teaching families to support getting‎ their loved ones into treatment.
  • Family Education Program: An eight (8) week program for adults who have a family member or friend with an addiction or substance use problem.
  • Seniors Support Group – “Friends Supporting Friends”: Offers group support and education to seniors who are being impacted by a family members’ addiction or substance use concerns, and is offered bi-weekly.
  • Family Aftercare Group: Is available to those who have completed the Family Education Program and is offered bi-weekly.

Call the Community Addiction Services office in your area for more information. 

If someone I love has an addiction, how can I help them?

If you want help because someone you love may have an addiction or substance use problem, call the Community Addiction Services office in your area.  

What community resources can I also access?

There are many community organizations that offer addiction or substance use programs, services and supports to Islanders across the province. 

What if I need help with mental health?

Health professionals from Addiction Services and Mental Health Services work closely together so that you will receive the most appropriate care for your needs.

Published date: 
February 24, 2022
Health PEI logo

General Inquiries

Health PEI
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6130
Fax: 902-368-6136

Your Health Privacy

Media Inquiries
Phone: 902-368-6135

Health PEI Board of Directors

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.

811 logo