Coping Skills Program for distress and chronic stress
If you are overwhelmed with distress and chronic stress in your life, the Coping Skills Program can help you create positive changes.
Distress is unpleasant feelings or emotions that impact your daily functioning.
Chronic Stress is a feeling of being overwhelmed, worried or run-down, that is persistent or constant over a period of time that can impact your physical and mental health.
What will I learn?
You will learn and use skills to manage patterns of chronic stress and distress that are interfering with your life.
Two main goals of the program are to:
- provide you with practical strategies and tips to help you with problems related to chronic stress and distress; and
- help you to develop a personal tool kit that you can use in your own life, at your own pace to help manage stress and distress.
The program is based on cognitive behavioural and dialectical behaviour therapies. Program trainers include nurses, social workers, psychologists, occupational therapists and addiction counsellors.
How long is the program?
The program is offered once a week for 1.5 to 2 hours, over a 6-7 week period.
Each week there is a different topic with different strategies discussed.
How will I know if I am ready for the program?
You may be ready for the Coping Skills Program, if you:
- are experiencing chronic stress, overwhelming emotions and anxiety;
- would like to make changes in your life, even if you aren’t sure where to start;
- are prepared to attend all the group sessions;
- are prepared to work on the material at home – attendance alone will not result in change; and
- are prepared to keep the information about others confidential.
How can I access the program?
To access the Coping Skills Program, you can contact a Community Mental Health clinic (below) or have your health care provider refer you.
Program trainers will contact you to discuss participation and confirm the program start date and location.
Telephone: (902) 838-0960
Telephone: (902) 368-4430 or (902) 368-4911
Telephone: (902) 888-8380
Telephone: (902) 859-8781
Telephone: (902) 853-8670