Eye See...Eye Learn Program
To ensure children get the best possible start to their education, the Eye See … Eye Learn™ program provides one free eye exam and, if required, one free pair of glasses during their kindergarten year.
Please note: The PEI Association of Optometrists and eyewear sponsors, VisionTech Labs PEI and Viva Canada have partnered with Health PEI to offer this eye health and vision awareness program for kindergarten children.
Why is it important for my child to have an eye exam?
When children start school, 80 per cent of their classroom learning is through vision. Regular eye exams give them the start they need to reach their learning potential. Eye exams can identify health problems and conditions such as a turned or lazy eye. These conditions may be successfully treated if they are identified early in a child’s life. It is recommended that infants should have their first eye exam at six months of age.
How do I register my child for an eye exam?
- Book an appointment with an optometrist for your kindergarten child.
- Bring your child’s PEI Health Card and private insurance information with you to the appointment.
- If your optometrist is unable to bill your insurance provider directly, you will have to pay up front and be reimbursed. Submit your claim to your insurance provider, then complete and submit an application for co-pay reimbursement [PDF | 70 KB] to Health PEI for the remaining amount.
- If you don’t have insurance, complete and sign a Declaration form [PDF | 70 KB]. Your optometrist will not ask you to pay for the exam and glasses, if required, as they are covered by Health PEI and the PEI Association of Optometrists.
What will an optometrist assess during my child’s eye exam?
An optometrist will assess:
- visual acuity;
- nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism;
- eye coordination, tracking and depth perception;
- colour vision;
- eye health; and
- review of family history, overall health, and lifestyle.
How do I contact the Eye See … Eye Learn Program?
Public Health and Children’s Developmental Services
161 St. Peters Road
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-5819
Fax: (902) 620-3195