Health PEI Strategic Plan: 2017-2020
What is a Strategic Plan?
A strategic plan is a document that Health PEI uses to describe its purpose and direction:
- Vision: Health PEI’s future
- Mission: Health PEI’s purpose
- Values: how Health PEI will conduct its work
- Goals and Strategic Priorities: areas identified as key for providing high quality care to Islanders
- Key Activities: how Health PEI will accomplish its goals
The Health PEI Strategic Plan: 2017-2020 is a three-year plan that:
- outlines Health PEI’s renewed commitment to its mission, vision, values; and
- identifies the goals and priority areas of focus for Health PEI to help it respond effectively to the health needs of Islanders.
How was the plan developed?
The development of the strategic plan was based on:
- input received from Islanders through extensive engagement discussions;
- evidence-informed information such as health trends, current health care issues, best practices and data from many provincial, national and international sources; and
- achievements and challenges identified from the previous strategic plan.
What is included in the plan?
One Island health system supporting improved health for Islanders.
Working in partnership with Islanders to support and promote health through the delivery of safe and quality health care.
We treat everyone with compassion, respect, fairness and dignity.
We collaborate in an environment of trust, communicate with openness and honesty, and are accountable through responsible decision making.
We pursue continuous quality improvement through innovation, integration and the adoption of evidence-based practices.
Quality and Safety
Support a culture of quality, safety and security in Health PEI.
Access and Coordination
Provide access and coordination to community health and mental health and addictions to meet the needs of Islanders.
Innovation and Efficiency
Develop new and innovative approaches to improve the efficiency and utilization of acute care services and ambulatory care resources.
What are the next steps?
Health PEI’s business plans will identify key actions required to move forward with the strategic plan on a yearly basis. At the end of each fiscal year, information provided through annual reports and annual general meetings will describe progress on key actions. The strategic plan will serve as a foundation to planning Health PEI’s services and programs over the next three years to meet the needs of those using the health care system.
Health PEI would like to thank everyone who helped in the development of this strategic plan by sharing their experiences and thoughts.