Mental Health Services

Mental health care is offered in hospitals and in community health facilities across the province. Bilingual services are available in some locations.

Where can I call to get help?

Call the Island Helpline at 1-800-218-2885 if you need emotional support, crisis intervention, or help with problem solving. Trained and caring staff are available to answer your call anytime of the day or night, seven days a week, 365 days a year. The Island Helpline is a free, 24-hour, bilingual, confidential, non-judgmental, and supportive telephone service.

Mental Health Walk-in Clinics are also offered in Kings, Queens and Prince Counties to offer immediate support to help with anxiety, depression and other complex and high risk issues.  

View the PEI Helping Tree  [PDF | 304 KB] a one-page flow chart of helpful resources.

What is available for me at Community Mental Health Services? 

The first step in service is screening. When you talk with an intake worker you will determine which programs and services are best suited to your treatment needs. Once your needs are screened, you may be linked to one of the following mental health services:

  • A group treatment education program for some mental health conditions, such as severe stress, anxiety, or depression.
  • A community mental health specialist (nurse, social worker, occupational therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist) who can work with you to assess your condition. Together you will identify the treatment plan, program, and services that will work best for you to meet your needs and reach your goal.
  • Services outside of Community Mental Health that would better meet your needs.

Some Community Mental Health Services are more specialized and have criteria in order to access these services. These include our Seniors Mental Health Resource Team (Queens and Prince Counties), our Outreach Teams in each county, and several of our group treatment programs. 

What if I need to go to hospital?

  • Experienced crisis intervention professionals respond promptly to mental health (psychiatric) emergencies at both the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) and Prince County Hospital (PCH) emergency departments.
  • If you need to be hospitalized there are inpatient mental health units at both the QEH and PCH.
  • Specialized acute, longer-term treatment and rehabilitation are offered at Hillsborough Hospital.

How do I access Community Mental Health Services for my child (under age 18)?

  • You can contact Community Mental Health in your area.
  • If you are a parent, and would like to talk to someone about referring your child, call Community Mental Health in your area.
  • Children’s mental health services are typically offered in communities where there is a Community Mental Health Clinic. Services may be offered in individual, family, or group settings.

Are there any at-home resources or supports that I can access for my child?

The Strongest Families programs help Island families with children and youth ages 3 to 17 who experience behaviour, anxiety, or nighttime/ bedwetting problems. The online programming and telehealth services work with the family’s schedule, eliminating the need to travel, take time off work/school or change normal routines. Additionally, there are no wait times so families can access help quickly.

Three programs are offered:

  • Behaviour program (for ages 3 to 12);
  • Anxiety program (for ages 6 to 17); and
  • Nighttime bedwetting (for ages 5 to 12).

Families can be referred to the Strongest Families programs through their primary care provider or community mental health services by calling 1-866-833-5443.

How do I access Community Mental Health Services if I am an adult (over age 18)?

  • You can contact Community Mental Health in your area.
  • Your doctor or other service provider can refer you to mental health services by submitting an Adult Services Referral form  [PDF | 122 KB]. 

Are there mental health services specifically for seniors?

Island seniors with complex mental health conditions can access services through the Seniors Mental Health Resource Team (SMHRT). The team can help reduce the impact of psychiatric symptoms, improve the quality of life of clients and their caregivers, and assist seniors to maintain independent living. The team works collaboratively with Primary Care, Home Care, the Geriatric Program, in-patient psychiatric units and family physicians and includes registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, social work and psychiatry. Services are available across PEI by referral through an individual or a health care provider. For more information, contact Community Mental Health.   

What if I need help with an addiction?

Health professionals from Mental Health Services and Addiction Services work closely together so that you will receive the most appropriate care for your needs.

How do I contact Community Mental Health?


Souris Hospital
17 Knights Avenue
Souris, PE   C0A 2B0

Telephone:  (902) 687-7110
Fax:  (902) 687-7119


126 Douses Road
PO Box 3000
Montague, PE   C0A 1R0

Telephone:  (902) 838-0960
Fax:  (902) 838-0961


McGill Community Mental Health
55 McGill Avenue
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Telephone: (902) 368-4911
Fax:  (902) 368-6189

Richmond Centre
1 Rochford Street
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Telephone:  (902) 368-4430


Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE   C1N 2A9

Telephone: (902) 888-8180
Fax:  (902) 888-8173


347 Church Street
Allan Shaw Building
Alberton, PE   C0B 1B0

Telephone: (902) 853-8670
Fax:  (902) 853-0420


O'Leary Health Centre
14 MacKinnon Drive
O'Leary, PE   C0B 1V0

Telephone: (902) 853-8670
Fax:  (902) 853-0420


Published date: 
September 26, 2018
Health PEI logo

General Inquiries

Health PEI
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 368-6130
Fax: (902) 368-6136

Your Health Privacy

Media Inquiries
Phone: (902) 368-6135

Health PEI Board of Directors
Phone: (902) 368-4637

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.

811 logo