Provincial Dental Care Program – Did You Know (Q&As)

What is the Provincial Dental Care Program (PDCP)?

The new Provincial Dental Care Program increases accessibility to dental care for low-income Islanders of all ages. 

How do I apply to the new Provincial Dental Care Program? 

Applications can be found at or by calling 902-368-5460. We are experiencing an extremely high volume of calls – please leave your name, phone number and complete mailing address and we will send an application to you. 

When will I receive my eligibility card?

Eligibility cards are in the process of being mailed out to eligible Islanders. Everyone that applies will receive a response to their application. Please be patient these can take 3-4 weeks. Private dental offices have been provided the information to confirm eligibility if you should require dental services prior to receiving your card. 

What will my Provincial Dental Care Program card look like?

Sample Provincial Dental Care Program Card (Front)  Sample Provincial Dental Care Program Card (Back)





Cards will have your first and last name as they appear on your health card. 

I have applied but haven’t yet received a response to my application? 

Please ensure the mailing address you provided on your application matches the address on file with Medicare. Please call 1-800-321-5492 to update your information. Unfortunately, we are unable to update this information through the application process. 

All applications will receive a response. If you have applied and are not eligible based on the income thresholds, you will receive a letter in the coming weeks. 

If you have applied prior to October 1, 2021 and have not yet received your card, please contact our office at 902-368-5460. If you applied to the program after October 1, 2021, please be patient, your card is being mailed to you as quickly as possible – there is no need to call and inquire about the status of your application. 

I have received my Provincial Dental Care Program eligibility card, now what? 

Now that you have your card, you can call the dental office of your choosing, inquire if they are participating in the PDCP and if so, make an appointment. 

All PDCP eligible services have established fees, however, in some cases there will be laboratory fees associated with your treatment. Please discuss with your dentist at time of your appointment. Our offices are unable to give you this information as it would be specific to your treatment needs. 

Where can I receive dental services? 

Individuals are able to receive dental services in any private dental office or public health dental clinic.  

I am receiving financial assistance from the Department of Social Development and Housing which cover dental, do I need to apply to the Provincial Dental Care Program? 

Yes, the Provincial Dental Care Program is replacing the dental benefits that were previously provided through Social Developmental and Housing. There was a mail out to all recipients of financial assistance that included an application form. If you have already applied to the program, there is no need to apply again. If you have not yet applied, we encourage you to submit an application to Health PEI as soon as possible. 

My child is covered under the Children’s Dental Care Program, do we need to apply for the Provincial Dental Program? 

Yes, however if your child was enrolled in the Children’s Dental Care Program (CDCP) prior to October 1, 2021, they will be automatically enrolled in the new PDCP and can use their CDCP card until a new card is issued for the PDCP. Parents of these children will need to apply for the PDCP. 

If you are applying after October 1, 2021, please submit an application to the PDCP for your family. 

Published date: 
October 27, 2021
Health PEI logo

General Inquiries

Health PEI
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6130
Fax: 902-368-6136

Your Health Privacy

Media Inquiries
Phone: 902-368-6135

Health PEI Board of Directors

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.

811 logo