Speech-Language Pathology Services

Speech Language Pathology Services are offered to pre-school children who need help developing speech and language abilities. Services include consultation, screening, assessment, treatment, workshops, community visits, and caregiver training. Speech Language Pathology Services are provided by Health PEI until children enter school. 

Adult services are provided on a short- to medium-term basis, if required, for individuals experiencing Auditory Processing Disorder, stuttering, voice disorders, communication needs as a result of a genetic syndrome, dementia, traumatic brain injury, progressive degenerative conditions, and hearing loss.

How can I receive speech and language services?

You can contact Speech Language Pathology Services to arrange an appointment for you or your child. 
Parents can refer their children. Self-referrals are accepted for adults. Referrals from health care professionals are also accepted.  

Complete the appropriate referral form and case history information:

How will I know if my child needs to visit a speech pathologist?

Communication develops over time and children will reach speech, language and hearing milestones [PDF | 239 KB] at his/her own rate. You can request speech language pathology services if you are concerned your child is late in learning to speak or shows no interest in communication.  

  • In general, a child will:
    • babble by nine months;
    • say first words by 15 months;
    • say consistent words by 18 months; and
    • speak word combinations by 24 months.
  • You should be able to understand what your child is saying at age 24 months.
  • A stranger should be able to understand what your child is saying at age 36 months.

Consider referring your child if:

  • he/she does not respond when spoken to or react to loud noises, or
  • he/she experiences sudden loss of speech and language ability.

What happens when my child starts school?

Health PEI Speech Language and Pathology Services focus on the time period before your child starts school. After your child enters school, contact their school to explore speech language support through the school system.

How do I contact Speech Language Pathology Services?

Speech Language Pathology Services
Sherwood Business Centre
161 St. Peters Road
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Telephone:1-844-344-TALK (8255)
Email: speechandhearing@ihis.org

Johnny Ross Young Service Centre
15 Green Street
Souris, PE   C0A 2B0

Telephone: (902) 687-7016
Fax: (902) 687-7100

126 Douses Road
Montague, PE   C0A 1R0

Telephone:  (902) 838-0762
Fax:  (902) 838-0803

Sherwood Business Centre
161 St. Peters Road
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Telephone:  (902) 368-4440
Fax: (902) 620-3195

205 Linden Avenue
Summerside, PE   C1N 2K4

Telephone:  (902) 888-8160
Fax:  (902) 888-8153

Evangeline Health Centre
48 Mill Road
Wellington, PE   C0B 2E0 

Telephone:  (902) 854-7259
Fax:  (902) 854-7270

Community Hospital
14 MacKinnon Drive
O'Leary, PE   C0B 1V0

Telephone:  (902) 859-8720
Fax:  (902) 859-8701

Published date: 
January 15, 2019
Health PEI logo

General Inquiries

Health PEI
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6130
Fax: 902-368-6136


Your Health Privacy

Media Inquiries
Phone: 902-368-6135

Health PEI Board of Directors

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.

811 logo