Zoom for Healthcare: Resources for Patients
Zoom is a cloud-based video conferencing service you can use to virtually meet with others. With Zoom, you can see, hear and speak with your health care team from the comfort of your home. We call this a Zoom virtual health visit.
How do I get invited to a Zoom virtual health visit?
Before you can be invited to a virtual health visit, your health care team will ask you some questions to see if this option is right for you. They will consider the following:
- Do you have a reliable internet connection and a smartphone, tablet or computer?
- Are you comfortable with technology in general? (i.e. using email, video conferencing)
- Do you understand the possible risks of using digital communications?
After you let us know that you will be using Zoom, the health care team will send you an email with an invitation to the appointment.
How to prepare for a good virtual health visit?
Like an in-person visit, there are some things you can do before the virtual visit to make sure that your Zoom appointment runs smoothly.
Zoom offers a test meeting to verify your device (computer, laptop, or phone) will successfully work in a Zoom meeting
- Visit https://Zoom.us/test
- Follow the prompts to test your microphone and speaker settings. Note: Zoom may request permission to use your phone camera, location and microphone
How to join?
You can join your Zoom virtual health visit using your computer, laptop, smartphone (iOS or Android), or tablet. You do not need an account to join – your health care provider maintains the account.
Using a Computer
1. Check your email inbox and junk box for your visit invite.
2. Click the URL link to join your visit. You do not need a Zoom account to join.
3. If this is the first time you are using Zoom, the Zoom Client for Meetings program will automatically begin downloading to your computer.
a. Click on the file (bottom-left corner of the web browser) when it is done downloading.
b. Then click Run to complete the installation
If you cannot download or run the program:
- Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings application to your Apple/Android smartphone or tablet to join.
- OR click Join from Your Web Browser using Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge.
4. You will be assigned to a waiting room or put on hold until your health care provider starts the visit. Please wait.
Using a Smartphone or Tablet
1. Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings application.
b. Apple iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/id546505307
2. Check your email inbox and junk box for your visit invite.
3. Click the URL link to join your visit. You do not need a Zoom account to join.
a. If you cannot download or run the mobile application, trying using a computer to join (see above instructions).
4. You will be assigned to a waiting room or put on hold until your provider or care team starts the visit. Please wait.
- Access to reliable internet (Wi-Fi or data)
- A computer, smartphone (iOS or Android), or tablet with:
- Speakers and a microphone, or a headset (recommended)
- A webcam or built-in camera
Choose your audio Settings:
Depending on your computer set up, you have two options for how to talk with your health care provider:
1. Use computer audio
- This uses your computer’s microphone and speakers.
- If you always want to join this way, you can tick the box next to Automatically join audio by computer when joining a meeting.
2. Use the phone
- You can use a phone number to call in to the visit in addition to using the computer video. You can find this phone number on your invitation.
- Use this option if your computer does not have speakers or the sound quality is bad.
Controls during your Zoom call:
Screenshot of an example zoom window explaining the button controls in a zoom call. For detailed zoom controls explanation, please visit: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/200941109-Participant-controls-in-a-meeting
Frequently Asked Questions
Links to other Resources
Zoom Help Centre*
* These are general resources for using Zoom. They may vary from your Zoom appointment with us.