Entrance Way Permit Information

When do I need an entrance way permit?

If you are purchasing a piece of property along a main or seasonal highway, then you will need an entrance way permit. This will make sure that you have safe access to a highway.

Where can I obtain an entrance way permit or get more information?

Staff of the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal can help if you need:

  • a farm field entrance along a provincial highway when there is no building or subdivision involved;
  • an entrance way along a main highway for commercial, industrial, or institutional uses; or
  • an entrance way along any provincial highway inside a municipality that administers its own official plans and bylaws.

Contact the Inspection Services Section of the Department of Environment, Labour and Justice for entrance ways not described above.

Is an entrance way permit the same as a culvert permit?

No. You need to apply for an entrance way permit before getting a culvert permit for a driveway.

Who can I contact for more information?

Jones Building
11 Kent St., 3rd Floor Jones
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8
(902) 368-5100

Published date: 
October 30, 2023
Housing, Land and Communities

General Inquiries

Provincial Planning
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5590
Fax: 902-368-5526