Funding for Publishing Companies
The Publishing Assistance promotes the development of a strong PEI literary community and publishing industry by helping Prince Edward Island publishers produce and distribute literary works.
Who is eligible for publishing assistance?
Applications will be accepted from publishers only; writers and translators must submit their works directly to publishers.
A Canadian-owned publishing company with a head office located in Prince Edward Island may be eligible for financial assistance for publishing if:
- the majority of owners and administrators are residents of Prince Edward Island
- book publishing is the main activity
- at least three Prince Edward Island titles have been published during the last fiscal year
- staff have required education, experience and competency in writing and editing, and
- clientele is clearly identified and appropriate book distribution methods are established.
In order for a book to qualify it must be:
- from one of the following categories:
- fiction, literary non-fiction, PEI-related non-literary, poetry or children’s
- authored by a Prince Edward Island resident or contain material or information related to PEI (an illustrator is considered an author for children’s books only)
- at least 48 printed pages, or 24 pages for a children’s book
- assigned an international standard book number (ISBN)
- in compliance with Library and Archives Canada deposit requirements
- published under the publisher’s imprint
- a print edition, a physical non-print edition or a digital edition of an eligible title
- published principally in English, French or a Canadian Aboriginal language
At least 75% of titles published within the year must be printed or manufactured in Canada.
What activities are supported through this assistance?
Funding is available to contribute towards the costs of:
- book screening and acquisition, including legal costs and author advances
- finishing, including:
- proof reading
- cover art and illustrations
- book design
- book jacket and inside jacket, if applicable
- acquiring blurbs and reviews, including cost of providing galley copies
- ISBN acquisition
- printing (within Canada)
- distribution, sales and marketing
- staff costs (up to 20% of direct costs in above items).
What level of assistance is available?
Up to 40 per cent of the costs associated with eligible activities for publishing eligible titles not to exceed $15,000 to a company per year.
Are there additional requirements for funding applications?
Publishers must complete the application form and submit all required attachments including one copy of each eligible title published in the previous year.
If you receive funding, you are required to acknowledge the support of the Province of Prince Edward Island in any new eligible publications produced with the funds.
Innovation PEI is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The guidelines for the Publishing Assistance may be modified without any notice and apply to all applications submitted.
Application must be submitted before any financial or legal commitment is made on the project.
*This information is provided for information purposes and is not comprehensive and reflective of all Innovation PEI policies. Not all projects meeting the minimum assistance criteria outlined will receive funding. Please consult with an Innovation PEI staff member for guidance specific to your company's situation.
General Contact Information
94 Euston Street, PO Box 910
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7L9
Telephone: (902) 368-6300
Facsimile: (902) 368-6301