The Ignition Fund is a competitive based innovation fund for entrepreneurs seeking start-up capital for a new business venture. Innovation PEI will invest seed capital that will allow the successful applicants to turn venture ideas into tangible, viable businesses.
This initial investment is expected to leverage additional funds to support the project. Applicants must ensure that employment agreements allow for participation in this program and for the development of new products and services.
Who is eligible for the Ignition Fund?
Entrepreneurs committed to establishing and operating a new business venture on PEI may apply. The primary applicant must be the founder or majority owner of the business. The product or service developed must have potential to be sold outside Prince Edward Island.
A successful applicant may be eligible for the Skills PEI Self Employ Program and will not be restricted from applying for other Innovation PEI financial supports and services.
A business which has already received an Innovation and Development Labour rebate is not eligible for support from the Ignition Fund.
What activities are eligible for funding?
Some activities eligible for support under the Ignition Fund include, but are not limited to:
- product development
- market research
- intellectual property
- business development
What level of assistance is available?
Innovation PEI will award up to $25,000 to a successful applicant. A matching contribution is not required.
What is the application process?
- Submit an application to Innovation PEI. Full details are found in the application form and include:
- A one-page summary (elevator pitch) of the proposed product or service;
- An overview of the proposed idea including competitive advantages and disadvantages, innovation, and market need;
- A description of the founders and management team;
- A market analysis that clearly defines your target market, sales and marketing strategy, level of competition and advantage over it, and your revenue model;
- Statement of work outlining the development of work over the next year including milestones and timeline;
- Financial outlook describing your use of the award funds and the potential for additional investment.
- An evaluation committee will review your application.
- Only those directly involved in the evaluation process will have access to your submission. Each reviewer is subject to non-disclosure and conflict-of-interest agreements.
- If your application moves to the next stage you will be invited to pitch your idea to the committee. A question and answer session will follow your ten-minute pitch.
What criteria are used to evaluate funding applications?
Not all projects meeting the minimum criteria will receive funding. Applications will be evaluated against a clear set of criteria using information provided in the application and the following considerations:
- Experience of the founders and management team
- Proposed product or service
- Market value and potential uptake
- Business growth
What are the reporting requirements?
Successful applicants to the Ignition Fund will receive a contract which will outline requirements including:
- Submitting invoices and receipts of eligible expenses associated with the project
- Providing regular progress reports to Innovation PEI
- Creating or participating an advisory/mentorship board for your business and founders.
- Restrictions pertaining to public award details.
Want to learn more?
Free information sessions are planned to take place across the province including:
- Summerside: 12:00 PM May 28, 2018, Access PEI, 120 Heather Moyse Drive, Summerside PE
- Central Bedeque: 3:00 PM May 28, 2018, Rural Action Centre, 106 Linkletter Avenue, Central Bedeque, PE
- Alberton: 12:00 PM May 29, 2018, Rural Action Centre, 455 Main Street, Alberton, PE
- Wellington: 3:00 PM May 29, 2018, Rural Action Centre, 48 Mill Road, Wellington, PE
- Souris: 12:00 PM May 30, 2018, Rural Action Centre, 15 Green Street, Souris, PE
- Montague: 3:00 PM May 30, 2018, Rural Action Centre, 540 Main Street, Montague, PE
- Charlottetown: 12:00 PM June 1, 2018, Startup Zone, 31 Queen Street, Charlottetown, PE
Follow up sessions:
- Summerside: 12:00 PM Monday, June 25, 2018, Access PEI, 120 Heather Moyse Drive, Summerside, PE
- Charlottetown: 12:00 PM Tuesday, June 26, 2018, Startup Zone, 31 Queen Street, Charlottetown, PE
- Montague: 12:00 PM Thursday, June 28, 2018, Rural Action Centre 540 Main Street, Montague, PE
- Alberton: 12:00 PM Friday, June 22, 2018, Rural Action Centre, 455 Main Street, Alberton, PE
You are encouraged to sign up for your session of choice above. If you are unable to attend but would like more information on the Ignition Fund, please contact Connor MacPhee using the details below.
Call for applications: May 16, 2018
Deadline for applications: July 13, 2018
Review complete: August 17, 2018
Pitch sessions: Week of September 3, 2018
Results announced: Week of September 24, 2018
Please note that the Review, Pitch and Results dates may change due to the volume of applications.
Members of the evaluation committee must sign non-disclosure and conflict of interest agreements. Only those directly involved in the evaluation process will have access to submissions. Applicants must ensure that employment agreements allow for participation in Ignition and the development of new products and services.
Application Submission Details
- Deadline for applications is 1:00 pm, Friday, July 13, 2018. Unfortunately, extensions will not be considered.
- Applicants must submit one hard copy and one electronic copy of your submission.
- Applications must be submitted before any financial or legal commitment is made to a project.
- Please direct applications to or questions regarding the Ignition Fund to Connor MacPhee at the details below.
Applications may be dropped off at the following locations:
Alberton: Rural Action Centre, 455 Main Street, Alberton, PE
Central Bedeque: Rural Action Centre, 106 Linkletter Avenue, Central Bedeque, PE
Charlottetown: Innovation PEI, 94 Euston Street, Charlottetown, PE
Montague: Rural Action Centre, 540 Main Street, Montague, PE
Souris: Rural Action Centre, 15 Green Street, Souris, PE
Summerside: Access PEI, 120 Heather Moyse Drive, Summerside PE
Wellington: Rural Action Centre, 48 Mill Road, Wellington, PE
Connor MacPhee, BBA
Business Development Officer
Phone: (902) 368-5125
94 Euston Street, PO Box 910
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7L9
Telephone: (902) 368-6300
Facsimile: (902) 368-6301