Change your Name Legally

The process will begin once you bring the completed application, associated documentation and fees to the Vital Statistics office.  Someone from the office will be touch with you once we receive your application to ensure all required information has been gathered and to arrange an appointment time to sign the documentation in the present of a  commissioner of oaths.

Who can request a legal name change?

  • If you are an adult you can apply for a legal change of name as long as you have been residing in PEI for at least three months and are not in lawful custody of another person.
  • If you are the legal custodian of a minor (under age 18) who has been living in the province at least three months, you can apply for a legal change the name of the child.
    • You must have written consent of any other person who has lawful custody or a parent who is lawfully entitled to access.
    • If you want to change a child’s surname, you must request a legal change of name. A child aged 12 or older must provide written consent to change his or her name.

What if I want to change my name when I get married?

Changing your surname for marriage does not require a legal change of name unless you want to change the surname on your birth certificate.  If you change your surname for marriage, you can use your marriage certificate to change your name on identification documents (passport, driver's licence) and most bank and insurance documents. For information about changing your surname for marriage, go to Getting Married on PEI

How much will I have to pay for a legal name change?

Find current service fees and expenses in the table of Vital Statistics Service Fees

Where Can I Find Application Forms?

Adult Change of Name Form

Minor Change of Name Form

Minor Change of Name - Consent Form

What information and documents do I need to change a name?

Before you request a legal change of name, make sure you have the following information:

  • both the present and proposed names, in full, of the person whose name is to be changed;
  • the date and place of birth of the person whose name is to be changed;
  • details with respect to any previous change in name of the person whose name is to be changed;
  • the applicants full name and address, place of ordinary residence at the time of application and length of residence in the province;
  • proof of lawful custody of the person and the relationship between the applicant and the person, if the person whose name is to be changed is a child (minor).

The process to legally change a name also requires the following supporting documents:

  • written consent of legal guardians of any child whose name is to be changed and of that child if over age 12;
  • a detailed birth certificate containing parent information if the person whose name is to be changed was born outside of PEI;
  • proof of PEI residency (PEI Health Card, citizenship card, etc.)
  • all previously issued birth certificates, marriage certificates and change-of-name certificates from another province, territory, state or country.

How long will it take for my name to be changed?

It may take one to two months to receive your Change of Name Certificate. Your new name will appear on any birth certificates issued after the change of name process is complete.

Who is notified of a change of name?

Except where special circumstances warrant, all registered name changes are:

  • published in the Royal Gazette;
  • provided to the RCMP and other police authorities as may be prescribed;
  • filed with the registrar of deeds for the county in which the person whose name is changed resides;
  • provided to the Director of Maintenance Enforcement (as prescribed); and
  • provided to such other authorities as may be prescribed.


Published date: 
March 23, 2023
Justice and Public Safety

General Inquiries

Vital Statistics
126 Douses Road
Montague, PE C0A 1R0
Phone: 902-838-0880
Toll-free: 1-877-320-1253
Fax: 902-838-0883