Child Focused Family Mediation

The Family Court Counsellors’ Office provides Child Focused Family Mediation services to parents to help settle child custody, access and child support issues. The mediator acts as a neutral third party to help parents work out their own solutions to their problems in the best interests of their child(ren).

What is the mediators’ role?

The mediator works with parents in developing parenting arrangements that are acceptable to both parents. The mediator helps the parents define the issues in dispute and identify the interests of the child(ren) and the parents to develop a plan that is sustainable and sensitive to the needs of the child(ren).

During the mediation process, the mediator may provide a neutral evaluation to help parents reach an agreement. The mediator may also provide information on how child development is affected when the children live between two homes.

The mediator assists parents by drafting agreements reached in mediation. The mediator will advise the parents to review any written agreement with their lawyer.

Do I need a lawyer during the mediation process?

The mediator does not:

  • represent either parent,
  • give legal advice, or
  • take the place of a lawyer.

Each parent should get independent legal advice throughout the mediation process and each parent may review their final mediated agreement with their lawyer before signing.

Can the mediator make a decision if the parties cannot agree?

Mediation is not a form of arbitration or formal conciliation where a third party authority has powers to decide or compel a decision. Although the mediation may provide general legal information, the mediator does not represent either parent and does not decide who is right or wrong in a disagreement.

When is mediation not appropriate?

Parties in mediation must be able to negotiate safely, voluntarily, and competently in order to reach a fair agreement that is in the best interests of their child(ren).  Mediation may not be considered appropriate when there is a history of family violence in the relationship and/or if one of the parents is fearful for their safety. As each family situation is different, the mediator will screen each case individually to determine if the case is appropriate for mediation.

Where mediation is not appropriate or the parents are unable to reach an agreement, parents should seek legal advice on other ways to resolve their issues.

How do I access this service?

You can access mediation services by contacting the Family Court Counsellors’ Office at (902) 368-6928. The service is voluntary and a court order is not required to use the service.

Is there a fee for this service?

There is no fee.

Who can I contact for more information?

Family Court Counsellors' Office
Family Law Centre (Charlottetown)
Phone: (902) 368-6928

Mediation Services
Family Court Counsellors’ Office
Family Law Centre (Charlottetown)
Phone: (902) 368-6655

Published date: 
March 7, 2016
Justice and Public Safety department logo

General Inquiries

Legal and Court Services Division
4th Floor, Shaw South
95 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 368-6522
Fax: (902) 368-4563