Criminal Injuries Compensation

If you are injured because of a crime, and you reported the crime to the police, you may be able to get money to help recover some of the expenses or losses your injury caused.  The types of crimes and injuries eligible for compensation are defined in the Victims of Crime Act and Regulations.  

Please note: Criminal Injuries Compensation is a fund of last resort. You are encouraged to first seek other means of compensation or reimbursement.

Who can apply?

You, or someone acting on your behalf, may apply if you were injured, or your parent or dependent (e.g. a child) was killed, as a result of an eligible crime which occurred after September 30, 1989.

Is my injury eligible for compensation?

If you are a victim of a crime that results in actual bodily harm; emotional trauma resulting from sexual 
assault; or mental or nervous shock, you may be eligible for Criminal Injuries Compensation. 

Crimes considered for compensation include: assault, sexual assault, murder, robbery, criminal 
negligence, arson, and impaired driving. Contact Victim Services for a complete list of eligible offences.  

What expenses and losses are eligible?

You may be able to receive compensation for certain losses and expenses such as lost wages, pain and
suffering, medical or dental expenses, maintenance for a child born as a result of sexual assault, funeral
expenses if the crime resulted in a death. 

Property loss and damage expenses are not eligible. 

How much money is available?

The amount of money awarded depends on the severity of your injuries and the amount of eligible expenses.  The maximum amount of compensation for the injury or death of one victim is $25,000. The maximum amount of compensation for one crime that results in injury or death of more than one victim is $50,000. For example: If an impaired driving incident results in injury to four victims, the maximum amount which could be divided among the four victims is $50,000.

How do I apply for injury compensation?

Before you apply, you must have reported the crime to police and cooperated in the investigation. You must apply for compensation within one year after the crime. (An extension is possible under special circumstances.) 

Contact Victim Services for assistance with your application. 

How long will it take to receive compensation?    

It may take up to two years for your claim to be fully processed. Victim Services will submit a report once all the relevant information is collected, i.e. medical reports, letters from employers or counselors, receipts and court information.

How is my claim decided?

  • If your claim is less than $2,500, the Victim Services manager or a designated lawyer may decide whether you will receive compensation and the amount.
  • If your claim is above $2,500, a report will be submitted to the Attorney General for approval. 
  • If you are in immediate financial need and your claim meets certain criteria, you may be able to receive interim payments.
  • The amount of your claim may be reduced or denied if you were partly responsible for the offence, or if you were doing something against the law.
  • Costs recovered from another source will be deducted from your claim (i.e. the offender, insurance, workers’ compensation, a civil suit).
  • You must notify Victim Services if you sue the offender.
  • You must inform Victim Services of any change in your address or telephone number.  If you move to a new address without informing Victim Services, your application shall be considered withdrawn after one year from the last date of contact.

What if I learn more about my injury after my claim is processed?

If additional information about your injury becomes known after your claim has been decided, you may apply within two years for a variation.  Once you apply for a variation, you must give all supporting information to Victim Services within one year.

What if I disagree with the decision made on my claim? 

If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Attorney General regarding your claim, you may appeal to the Supreme Court on any question of law.

The above information is not a complete statement of the law. For further details, refer to the Victims of Crime Act, Part IV, and Regulations.

How do I contact Victims Services?

Victim Services, Queens and Kings Counties
1 Harbourside Access Road
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE
C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4582

Victim Services, Prince County
263 Heather Moyse Drive
Suite 19, 2nd floor
Summerside, PE
C1N 5P1
Telephone: (902) 888-8218



Published date: 
January 24, 2024
Justice and Public Safety

General Inquiries

Community and Correctional Services Division
109 Water Street
Summerside, PE   C1N 5L2
Phone: 902-432-2528
Fax: 902-432-2851