Insurance Adjuster Licence

To apply to become a licensed insurance adjuster in Prince Edward Island, contact the Consumer, Corporate and Financial Division of the Department of Justice and Public Safety.

What is the licensing procedure?

We issue two types of licences, Probationary and Full. Licences are for a two year term, except for the initial Probationary licence which is issued for a one year term.

A non-resident applicant, licensed by their home jurisdiction, must provide a letter of good standing from that jurisdiction.

An applicant applying for a Full licence, who does not hold a Full licence in their home jurisdiction, must provide a transcript which demonstrates they meet the requirements for a Full licence as outlined below.

A Probationary Licensee must be supervised by a Full licensee. The Full licensee must work out of the same location as the Probationary licensee. They must review and countersign all claims reports and settlement offers completed or submitted by the Probationary licensee. A Supervision Undertaking detailing this relationship must be signed by both the supervising Full adjuster and the Probationary adjuster.

A Probationary adjuster must complete C11 (or C81 and C82 as an equivalent) of the Insurance Institute of Canada syllabus during their initial year of being licensed. In order to obtain a Full licence a Probationary licensee must have two years practical experience and complete eight courses from the syllabus within five years. There are five mandatory courses which are C11, C14, C32, C110, and C111. Completion of C81 and C82 in lieu of C11 constitutes one course for the purpose of obtaining the eight required.

What is the fee?

Fees are $200 for a two year term and $100 for the one year term which is only available for the initial Probationary licence. Fees are payable to the Minister of Finance PEI.

Where can I search for licensees?

Adjusters Licensed in Prince Edward Island

Where can I find the application form for an adjuster's licence?

Adjuster's Licence Application Form

Who can I contact for more information?

Phillip McInnis (Compliance Officer)
Consumer, Corporate and Financial Services
Shaw Building, 1st Floor
105 Rochford Street
Charlottetown, PEI
Telephone: (902) 368-4937
Fax: (902) 368-5283


Published date: 
September 4, 2019
Justice and Public Safety

General Inquiries

Consumer, Corporate and Insurance Division
1st Floor, Shaw Building (North Entrance)
105 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-4550
Fax: 902-368-5283