PEI Express Entry

You can apply for a PEI Express Entry nomination for permanent residency through the Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP).  Your nomination through PEI PNP will increase your chance of being issued an Invitation to Apply from the Federal Government. 

Am I eligible to apply?

To be eligible for nomination through PEI Express Entry, you must:

  • meet the requirements of at least one of the Federal Economic Immigration programs:
    • Federal Skilled Worker Program;
    • Federal Skilled Trades Program; or
    • Canadian Experience Class
  • create a Federal Express Entry Profile and be placed in the pool of candidates.  You can create a profile at any time through IRCC.

What will increase my chances of being nominated?

The following factors will increase your chances of nomination by PEI:

  • You are currently living and working in PEI.
    • You must be legally permitted to work.
  • You have strong family connections to PEI.
    • If claiming a family connection to PEI, the family must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen and resident of PEI for at least 1 year and be a parent, sibling, aunt or uncle.
  • You have work experience in PEI.
    • Must have at least 1 year of full-time work experience in past 10 years.
  • You have previously studied in PEI.
    • Must have completed 2 years of studying in past 10 years.
  • You own a residential property in PEI.
  • You own a business in PEI.
  • You have experience working in an area that has a skill shortage in PEI.
  • You have a job offer from a PEI employer in a high-skilled position.
    • The employer must show efforts they attempted to fill the position locally.

How do I apply?

You must be selected to apply. Submit a completed Expression of Interest form to  There is no charge to submit this form.

If you are selected to apply for PEI Express Entry, a confirmation email explaining the application process will be sent to you within three months of your submission.  If you are not selected, you will not receive a response.

Please note: There will be no response to progress inquiries related to an Expression of Interest filed.

Who is not eligible to apply?

If you are currently working in PEI on a post-graduate open work permit, you must satisfy the following conditions prior to applying:

  • Have at least 4 months of full-time experience working for the PEI employer, and
  • Have at least 4 months remaining before the expiration of your work permit at the time of submitting an application to the Province.

If you are currently in Canada, you must be here legally.  This means that if you are in Canada on a study permit and you are not studying, you are not eligible to apply.

Do I have to pay a fee?

There is no fee to submit an Expression of Interest form.  If you are selected for nomination by PEI, the application fee is $300.  This fee is non-refundable and must be paid prior to receiving your nomination certificate from the Province.

Do I have to use an Immigration Consultant or a Lawyer?

No, you are not required to hire an Immigration Consultant for any immigration program in Canada.

If you choose to use an Immigration Consultant or a Lawyer, they should be registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council, or be a Lawyer in good standing with a Provincial Law Society. The agent must be registered with the Office of Immigration prior to the submission of an application through this stream.

How can I check the status of my PEI Express Entry application?

Enquiries made within 60 calendar days of submission of your application to the Office of Immigration will not be answered.  After 60 days, submit enquiries to  Be sure to include your file number in the subject line of the email.  If you do not have a file number, you do not have an application in process.

My Work Permit is expiring soon, what can I do?

You are responsible for ensuring you maintain legal status in Canada.  You cannot rely on PEI Express Entry to help extend a work permit that is about to expire.  If you are currently working in PEI, you may be eligible for a nomination through one of our other streams, in which case we could write an employer-specific letter of support for a work permit extension to be issued with the nomination.

If you have reached the stage of applying for permanent residency through Express Entry and your work permit is about to expire, you can apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit.

What happens after I am nominated?

If there are changes in your circumstances, such as family status, employment, contact information, etc., you must notify the Office of Immigration immediately. If any changes occur after nomination, you must notify the Office of Immigration and IRCC.

Who can I contact to ask questions?

Forward questions related to the Express Entry stream to  Note: questions will not be answered on the phone or in person, unless an appointment has been made through email.

Published date: 
August 10, 2016
Office of Immigration

General Inquiries

Office of Immigration
94 Euston Street, 2nd Floor
PO Box 1176
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7M8

Phone: (902) 620-3628 
Fax: (902) 368-5886