Bilingual Autism Specialist
Full-time temporary position (starting November 2018 for approximately one year)
This position provides direct intervention as well as educational support for children with a diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder. The caseload includes both preschool children enrolled in Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI) as well as school age children who are enrolled in French schools. The position will also provide coaching and training of involved school or IBI staff and to families enrolled in the Early Years Autism Service. This position reports to the Early Year Autism Coordinator.
French School Board duties will include:
- Conducting observations and conducting formal and informal assessment to assist in the development of appropriate programming;
- Providing consultation and guidance to school teams in the creation and monitoring of IEP goals and objectives;
- Providing guidance for Functional Behavior Assessments and assisting in the development, implementation and monitoring of Behavior Support Plans;
- Maintaining written documentation of school consults, student observations and recommendations;
- Providing support to optimize student transitions at school entry or between grades and schools;
- Collaborating with designated school staff in the development of social skills groups;
- Providing suggestions to schools regarding recommended teaching programs/materials/resources and teacher-made visual supports;
- Ensuring that interventions with documented empirical effectiveness for children with autism are prioritized and form the basis of educational services; other related duties as required.
Early Years duties will include:
- Designing, implementing and monitoring applied behavioural analysis programming for young children with autism;
- Working directly with each child on the caseload a minimum of 2 hours per week unless clinically contraindicated;
- Conducting curriculum based assessments;
- Addressing challenging behaviour by conducting functional behavioural assessments and developing positive behaviour support plans (BSP) as needed;
- Accurately assessing each child using direct observation; administering formal and informal assessment;
- Providing detailed assessment based, developmentally appropriate teaching programs;
- Evaluating the accurate and consistent implementation of teaching programs, data collection and/or behaviour support plans;
- Facilitating transitions into early childhood centres and schools;
- Other related duties as required.
- Master’s degree in Child Development, Education, Psychology or related field.
- Extensive training in Applied Behaviour Analysis.
- Experience working with preschoolers and school-age children with autism and knowledge in child development.
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time, organize work responsibilities, work independently and as a team member.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with the public, including both oral and written skills in French and English.
- Excellent computer skills, including email, word processing and presentation applications.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle; extensive travel in the province is required.
- Must have a good previous attendance and work record and a satisfactory criminal records check prior to beginning employment.
- Board Certification in Behavior Analysis is preferred.
- Knowledge of Analysis of Verbal Behavior, Augmentative Communication (i.e. Picture Exchange Communication System Sign Language) is preferred.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience with administration of VB-MAPP assessment.
- Knowledge of effective evidence-based practices for children with autism is preferred.
Preference will be given to employees as per section 38.01 of the UPSE Collective Agreement.
Applicants are expected to complete the full length of this assignment unless appointed to a permanent position.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: $30.52 to $38.15 per hour (UPSE Level 18)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Competition Number: 133056-0518EETO
Apply for this position
Submit your application by mail, fax or online
PEI Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8.
Fax: (902) 368-4383
It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of the application, by telephone or in person prior to the closing date. Please ensure that the appropriate competition number is stated on all application forms.