Housing Assistance

Housing assistance provides low income Islanders with appropriate housing at a reduced cost. For qualified applicants, this might be renting a social housing unit or receiving a rent supplement that reduces the cost for rental market housing. The program is needs-based with priority given to those assessed to be in the greatest need.

Family Housing Program

The Family Housing Program provides quality rental housing units for Island families and individuals with low incomes, poor housing conditions or other special circumstances that create a need for assistance and who may not otherwise be able to obtain adequate housing.

What rent is charged?

Most families pay 25 per cent of their income for rent.

Where is family housing located?

Government owned apartments are located in Alberton, Charlottetown, Georgetown, Montague, Mt. Stewart, O'Leary, Souris, Summerside and Tignish. You may also be able to receive a rent supplement benefit with a private landlord in any community.

How are tenants selected?

You will be chosen based on your current situation. This includes your housing conditions, income, cost of housing, family size, health, and any special circumstances. Local housing boards select tenants based on availability of a unit suitable to your family's need.

For more information, download the Family Housing Program brochure.

Seniors Housing Program

Are you a senior who has trouble affording your current cost of living? Many seniors find that their housing needs change over time. You may find your income is less than in earlier years or you may find it more difficult to maintain your home. If this sounds like you, we may be able to help.

How are tenants selected?

You are eligible to apply if you are:

  • Aged 60 and older, or
  • 55 and older and have a disability.

You will be chosen based on your income, assets, health, age and present housing.

What rent is charged?

Rent is 25 per cent of your income.

For more information and for a printed application, download the Seniors Housing Program brochure.

Where is seniors housing located?

Seniors Housing units are located across the province, please see the map below for locations. You may also be able to receive a rent supplement benefit with a private landlord in any community.

View a larger version of the map

Social Housing Registry

The PEI Social Housing Registry includes the number of Islander's who are eligible for Family and Senior Housing Programs and awaiting a placement that best suits their needs including location, type, and size of units.

Social Housing Registry Numbers
County Seniors Housing Program Family Housing Program Total
Kings 26 44 70
Queens 41 81 122
Prince 54 64 118
Total 121 189 310

**All numbers and data as of September 30, 2021

Contact Information

For more information on housing assistance, please contact Housing Services at the location closest to you.

Housing Services Phone Information
Toll Free 1-877-368-5770
Charlottetown (902) 368-5770
Summerside (902) 888-8436
Montague (902) 838-0796
Souris (902) 687-7098

To contact Housing Services by e-mail, please write to: housing@gov.pe.ca


Published date: 
October 12, 2021
Social Development and Housing

General Inquiries

Department of Social Development and Housing
2nd Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-620-3777
Toll-free: 1-866-594-3777
Fax: 902-368-4740