Team Food Student Job Bonus
Team Food is a program designed to assist Prince Edward Island seafood processing plants and aquaculture growers address labour market challenges by increasing the recruitment of students in both sectors. The program also provides Island students with a work experience while earning income to support their education and training.
Who Is Eligible To Participate?
Eligible Information - Employers
Eligible employers include;
- Registered private sector businesses on Prince Edward Island operating as seafood processors, aquaculture growers and agriculture producers
Eligible Information - Students
Eligible students must;
- Be at least 15 years old as of the first day of work and fall into one of the following categories:
- Entering Grade 10 or 11 in the fall of 2021 and intending to return to high school; or
- Currently in Grade 12 and entering/enrolled in a post-secondary program for the fall of 2021; or
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary program and continuing in the fall of 2021.
- Be a resident of Prince Edward Island and eligible to work in Canada.
How Does the Program Work
The program provides assistance in the form of a completion bonus paid by the employer to the student upon successful completion of the work term. The program will reimburse 75% of the bonus amount with the employer contributing the remaining 25%. Employers are required to have Workers Compensation Benefits (WCB) coverage.
- Students entering Grades 10, 11 and 12 will be required to complete a work term of a minimum of 250 hours in order to receive the $1,000 completion bonus.
- Grade 12 Students entering post secondary may complete a work term of 250 or 500 hours.
- Students entering university or college will be required to complete a work term of a minimum of 500 hours in order to receive the $2,000 completion bonus.
How Do I Apply?
You must complete the Farm Team or Team Seafood application and submit it to SkillsPEI. The deadline for applications is May 31, 2021.
Students apply directly with their employer. The employer selects the student for their summer job. Employers will provide selected students with a Participant Form that must be submitted to SkillsPEI. The Student Job Bonus is paid directly to the student by the employer. There is no deadline to hire a student but the required hours must be worked by the student in order to access the bonus.
For More Information
Funding for this program is provided by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture.