Tourism Directional Signs
All signs within view of a Prince Edward Island Highway are controlled by the Highway Signage Act. Tourism business signs provide the travelling public with directional signage in a concise, visible manner. Only businesses defined as “tourism business” in the regulations may apply. Examples of tourism businesses include accommodations, attractions, eating establishments, recreation, craft and gift shops, shopping malls and gas stations.
What does the sign look like?
- Signs must be within 15 km of the business.
- All signs must have an arrow indicating a turn is necessary.
- Signs are 45 cm (1.5 feet) high and 210 cm (7 feet) long.
- The business name, an arrow, the distance in kilometres, and a corresponding symbol are displayed in reflective white letters on a blue background.
- The establishment name portion must not exceed 24 characters, including spaces between words.
- Assistance will be provided with the wording.
Where will the sign be located?
Signs will be installed only on the approach to an intersection directing traffic left or right.
What is the cost of having a sign?
A new tourism directional sign is $160 per sign plus HST
- the annual renewal fee is $60 per sign plus HST
- any requested wording change on an existing sign is $100 per sign plus HST
How do I apply for a sign?
Download and complete the Tourism Directional Sign form and send it to the contact listed below.
- The maximum number of signs per business is four.
- Payment, including HST, must accompany the application.
- A tourism business that provides accommodation must be licensed before signs will be approved.
- Allow one to two weeks for processing.
- Limitations are placed on the number of sign standards and signs at each approach to any intersection.
- If the requested sign locations are not available, a refund or credit will be issued.
- You can request to be placed on a waiting list. You will be informed of your position on the list and the names of the businesses ahead of you on the waiting list.
PO Box 2000, Charlottetown PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: 902-368-6215 or 902-438-4704