BUILDING INSPECTOR INTERN
FULL-TIME TEMPORARY INTERNSHIP PLACEMENT (Commencing April 2019 for 26 weeks)
LOCATION – Charlottetown
The Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy has created six-month internship placements for graduates in the fields of engineering, lab technologists, construction technology and management, building inspector and visitor services.
The intern will work in the Building Maintenance and Accommodations Section of Public Works and Planning Division. Duties will include inspecting all aspects of the construction work associated with new or renovation projects to ensure they meet the requirements of the contract and the work is carried out in accordance with the drawing and specifications. Compile daily reports checking types, quality and quantity of all materials used on the construction project. Reviewing and assessing work to ensure that applicable codes and standards are followed. The intern will participate in meetings with clients. They will complete site surveys and measurements of existing physical features at various sites. Monitor the progress of construction work and reviewing associated components or systems to identify conflicts prior to work proceeding. Review of tender documents prior to tender call to identify areas of conflict by the consultants and other duties as required.
• Must have completed a post- secondary diploma in Architectural or Building Construction Technology within the last two (2) years and are seeking a focused work term;
• Must possess the ability to operate survey instruments and computer software for word processing and spreadsheets;
• Must possess the ability to communicate verbally in a polite, firm and understandable manner with contractors, users, regulatory officials and consultants;
• Experience with Computer Assisted Drafting software would be an asset;
• Must have a valid driver’s license and access to reliable transportation;
• Must be punctual, highly organized and trustworthy with a good attendance record;
• Provide a satisfactory current Criminal Records Check, prior to employment;
• Provide a current Hearing Test, prior to employment;
• Experience related to facilitation and Island History would be an asset.
Knowledge & Skills the Intern May Require:
• Knowledge of the role that Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy plays in the delivery of Building Maintenance and Accommodations for Prince Edward Island Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy.
• Should have knowledge of OHS procedures associated with various construction activities.
• Knowledge of current challenges surrounding maintaining aging infrastructure (culverts, asphalt, etc.).
Salary Range: $22.44 per hour (UPSE Level 11, Step 3)
Bi-Weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly
Closing Date: March 18, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Posting ID: 136354-0219TITO
Apply for this position
Submit your application by mail, fax or online
PEI Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8.
Fax: (902) 368-4383
It is the responsibility of the applicant to confirm receipt of the application, by telephone or in person prior to the closing date. Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms.