Charlottetown Low-Income Financial and Technical (LIFT) Assistance Program
The City of Charlottetown and efficiencyPEI are collaborating to deliver sustainability programs to assist low-income Islanders. The Low Income Financial and Technical (LIFT) Assistance program provides a free comprehensive water audit and support free of charge. Eligible residents in Charlottetown will now be able to access efficiencyPEI’s Winter Warming program (formerly the HELP program) and the City of Charlottetown’s LIFT Program simultaneously.
What is the LIFT Program?
Research has shown that a meter installed reduces overall water consumption as the customer pays for the water they use. The LIFT Program assists low-income clients to install low-flow devices in the home and provides tips to reduce water consumption. A qualified tradesperson completes a water audit (such as checking for leaks, checking for low-flow fixtures) free of charge at your resident along with the following:
- installation of a low-flow showerhead,
- installation of a low-flow aerator on bathroom sinks,
- a voucher for low-flow toilet and installation, if applicable
What is the Winter Warming program?
Improving household energy efficiency helps residents save money on heating costs, provides greater comfort with fewer cold spots and drafts, and improves air quality by reducing the amount of noise and dust entering the house. efficiencyPEI's Winter Warming provides a comprehensive air-sealing (such as caulking, weather-stripping, sealing gaskets) to low-income residents free of charge, along with the following:
- installation of a programmable thermostat,
- a low-flow showerhead,
- a voucher for a free furnace cleaning (up to $115 value).
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a resident of Charlottetown with a total household income of $50,000 or less;
- You must own and live in the residence or have an account in good standing with the Charlottetown Water & Sewer Utility in your name.
Residents who have previously accessed the Winter Warming program will still be eligible for the additional water conservation features of the LIFT Program.
Do I have to fill out two applications?
No, these programs are being delivered simultaneously through a collaboration with the City of Charlottetown. These programs are free of charge and will help low-income Islanders save money on their monthly utility bills through reducing energy and water consumption. This collaboration aims to make the process as simple as possible by providing access to both programs through a single application and appointment.
How do I apply?
- Confirm your eligibility according to the terms and conditions as outlined on the application form.
- Fill out the application form completely. Incomplete information will delay your application.
- Mail or drop off the application with original copies of your proof of income* to efficiencyPEI or any Access PEI location.
*Proof of income must be your most recent original July GST Credit Notice showing your net family income, marital status, and province of residence.
If you need information on this program or any other energy efficiency help, get in touch. Visit us at efficiencyPEI at 69 Belvedere Avenue in Charlottetown or at Access PEI in Summerside. Program information is also available at any Access PEI location.
This incentive program is cost-shared with the Government of Canada under the Low Carbon Economy Fund.