Farm Truck Registration
Bona fide farmers may register farm trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 4,500 kgs or more in a separate class at a reduced rate. A farm vehicle must be used exclusively for farm-related purposes such as transporting:
- the farmer, family members and others without fee or charge of any kind;
- farm tools, machinery, equipment and materials used in agricultural production; and
- animals and animal products, poultry and poultry products, plants and plant products, or products of the forest as are grown or produced in the truck owner's farm.
What do I need to register a farm truck?
If you have never been identified or approved by PEI Highway Safety Division as a bona fide farmer under the Farm Truck Registration Regulations you must:
- Confirm bona fide farmer status by:
- providing to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles an Income Tax Return from the previous year confirming at least 25% of your gross income is derived from farming, and
- signing the Vehicle Identification Form at any Access PEI location confirming you are a bona fide farmer; and
- Verify the Gross Vehicle Rating (GVWR) of the truck you are registering is at least 4,500 kgs by providing:
- tire load rating, and
- line specification sheet, completed by a dealer who sells that type of vehicle and using that dealer`s letterhead.