Motor Vehicle Registration Refund

Can I get a refund for my vehicle’s registration?

If your vehicle’s registration has not expired, you may be eligible for a refund of a portion of the cost of the registration. Refund requirements vary based on the type of vehicle. For example, refunds for trailer registrations are based on the number of twelve-month periods remaining on the term of the registration, but a private passenger vehicle (a motor vehicle designed and used primarily for the transportation of persons without remuneration and does not include a bus or taxicab) with a weight of less than 4100 kilograms is refunded based on the number of full months remaining before it expires. You cannot be refunded for the month we are currently in.

To find out if you are entitled to a refund for an unused portion of the term of your vehicle’s registrations, please visit or contact your nearest Access PEI location.

What do I need to do to receive a refund for my vehicle’s registration?

To receive a refund, you must surrender your plate with a valid registration sticker attached. If you are in PEI, you can do this by going to any Access PEI location. This is the easiest option, allowing you to receive your refund directly while you are at Access PEI. If the refund amount is greater than $100, you may receive the refund by electronic funds transfer.

If you have moved to a different province and are looking to get a refund for your vehicle’s registration, you need to send a letter requesting the refund to Access PEI at

Access PEI
PO Box 2000
33 Riverside Drive
Charlottetown, PE
C1A 9R9
Fax: 902-569-7560

For Access PEI to be able to process your refund, the letter must include your

  • name
  • address
  • phone number
  • email address
  • signed and dated request for a refund
  • plate with valid sticker attached or a letter from the authority receiving your plate confirming their receipt of your plate and valid sticker
  • a completed Vendor Registration Form (if you have not completed one before).

If I move to a new province, can I exchange my vehicle’s registration for one from that province?

Thanks to an agreement between PEI, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, if you move to another Maritime province you can exchange your vehicle’s PEI registration for one from the province you moved to. If you moved to a province other than New Brunswick or Nova Scotia and would like a refund for your vehicle’s registration, you will have to apply for a refund to Access PEI by following the process above and pay for your new vehicle registration in the other province.

Published date: 
October 1, 2018
Transportation and Infrastructure

General Inquiries

Access PEI/Highway Safety Head Office
33 Riverside Drive,
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Phone: 902-368-5200
Fax: 902-569-7560 

Road-Related Inquiries: 

All other Transportation and Infrastructure inquiries: 

Report Transportation Problems