Novice Driver Course
Due to the Public Health Emergency, all Novice Drivers Courses (NDC) are now cancelled. Individuals already booked for the course will be notified when the NDC is available.
The province requires individuals with Instruction Permits to attend a Novice Driver Course before taking their first road test. This is a mandatory educational program for all new drivers who do not complete a formal driver education program. You should enroll in the course as soon as you receive your Instruction Permit.
You will learn about:
- Graduated Driver Licensing Program
- Demerit Point System
- Aspects of the Criminal Code related to Impaired Driving
- Alcohol and Drug Education
- Handling certain driving conditions
The course lasts approximately five hours and is usually taught on two separate evenings, (or in one after-school session – Elmsdale location only), and you must register in advance and pay a fee.
To inquire about a course location, and to register, call or visit the nearest Access PEI location.
Be prepared to quote the ID Number from your Instruction Permit. Remember to take your Instruction Permit to the course with you.
What do I need to know about my Instruction Permit?
An Instruction Permit entitles you to operate a motor vehicle, motorcycle, or farm tractor, depending on the restrictions pertaining to the type of permit.
Your Instruction Permit entitles you to operate a motor vehicle on the highway under the following conditions:
- You must be accompanied at all times by a licensed operator who has been the holder of a valid driver’s licence for at least four years, and is occupying the seat beside you, the driver.
- Only the immediate family of the licensed operator is permitted in the motor vehicle.
- The individual giving instruction cannot have a blood alcohol content of .05 or more.
What is a Farm Tractor Permit?
The Farm Tractor Permit entitles you to operate a farm tractor only when you are under the supervision of a licensed operator who has been the holder of a valid driver’s licence for at least four years.
What is a Motorcycle Instruction Permit?
Your Motorcycle Instruction Permit entitles you to operate a motorcycle under the following conditions:
- Daytime driving only
- No passengers
- No driving on the highway unless you are under the direct observation and supervision of a licensed motorcycle operator who has been the holder of a valid Motorcycle Driver’s Licence for at least four years.
Who can I contact for more information?
Phone: (902) 368-5228
Fax: (902) 368-5236