Veteran License Plate Registration
How do I apply for a Veteran license plate?
You can apply for a Veteran license plate at any Access PEI location in the province. Fill out an application form and provide proof of your eligibility to Access PEI.
On the application form, you will have to provide the following information:
- Full name (your name must appear on the vehicle registration, but the vehicle can be jointly owned)
- Date of birth
- Telephone number
- Your ID #
How do I prove my eligibility for a Veteran plate?
If you are retired from the Canadian Forces, you must show both sides of your Canadian Forces Certificate of Service (or the equivalent for the Merchant Navy, Allies, etc.) to the staff at Access PEI.
If you are currently serving in the Canadian Forces, you must show your Canadian Forces identification card plus your personal service record information (current MPRR).
If you do not have the required documents, you can contact one of the following organizations for help:
The Royal Canadian Legion
Prince Edward Island Command
Box 20132, RPO Sherwood
Charlottetown, PE C1A 9E3
Phone: (902) 892-2161
RCMP Veterans’ Association, PEI Division
450 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PE
Phone: (902) 368-2074 (Llew Robinson)
Public Archives Canada
What types of license plates can I apply for?
Veteran license plates are issued for motorcycles and passenger vehicles up to 3,859 kg.
What is the registration fee for a Veteran license plate?
The registration fee for a Veteran license plate is the standard for the class and weight of the vehicle being registered, plus an additional $5 fee at the time your license is issued. For future renewals, regular plate renewal fees apply.
You can apply to replace your current regular license plate with a Veteran plate at any time by returning your current plate to an Access PEI office and paying a $5 fee. You do not have to wait until your current plate expires.
Who is considered a veteran?
A Veteran is any person who has honourably:
- Served (or may still be serving) in the Canadian Armed Forces, or the armed forces of another Commonwealth country or of a wartime ally of Canada or another Commonwealth country
- Served in the Merchant Navy or Ferry Command during wartime
- Served in a theatre of war as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces, or the armed forces of another Commonwealth country or of a wartime ally of Canada or another Commonwealth country
- Performed NATO service or a United Nations mission as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces or a Canadian Police Force, or
- Served in the Vietnam War in the forces of the United States or its allies during this war and who was a Canadian citizen at the time of service