Voluntary ID

Due to the Public Health Emergency, all expired and expiring PEI Driver Licenses, Voluntary ID Cards and Vehicle Registration Permits that are eligible for renewal are being extended to Monday July 6, 2020. If required, further extensions will be made.

A voluntary ID may only be issued to residents of Prince Edward Island, defined as a person who is:

  • Employed for more than 30 days in any year
  • Attending school or college in the province
  • In the province and whose children attend school in the province
  • Lives in the province

This document is valid for a five year period.

What do I need to get a voluntary ID?

Two pieces of the following must be shown:

  • Current utility bills (electric, cable, oil delivery, phone, etc.)
  • Formal rental or lease agreement
  • Letter of employment on company letterhead (or pay stubs with name and address)
  • Any mail from the Federal or Provincial Government (tax, GST, correspondence, etc.)
  • Bank cheque with name and address
  • Mortgage documents
  • Credit card bill/bank statement

All of the above must have your name and current PEI address.

Voluntary IDs will only be issued to individuals who have three resource documents that include a photo, full legal name and signature or to those individuals who have a digital photo on the PEI Registry of Motor Vehicle database.

Do I need to provide a document with my photo?

Acceptable resource documents must have at least one photo document from the following list:

  • Valid Canadian Passport (Birth Certificate must accompany Canadian Passport if document is being used for full legal name.)
  • Aviation Document issued by Transport Canada
  • Ontario/Quebec Health Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
  • Permanent Resident Card (CIC) Citizenship Certificate with photo issued before Feb. 1, 2012 (CIC)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (CIC) (IMM 1442)
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document (CIC) (IMM 1442)
  • Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate Immigration Documents
  • US Passport Card
  • Canadian Forces ID

Plus at least two from this list:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Health Card
  • Credit Card
  • SIN Card
  • Bank Card
  • Any other recognized document with signature

A young person who has a valid birth certificate may be accompanied by his or her parents or legal guardian for identification and/or proof of residency purposes. The parent or legal guardian will be required to present his or her driver's license or voluntary ID.

Do I have to book an appointment if I don't have the proper documents? 

If you do not have or cannot obtain proper documents, an appointment must be scheduled to determine if a voluntary ID may be issued

Phone: (902) 368-6225 Charlottetown area
Phone: (902) 432-2714 Summerside area

What is the fee?

The fee for a voluntary ID is 

Valid for 5 years -  $50.00
Valid for 1 year - $20.00
Duplicate ID - $20.00

Qualified individuals - No Charge

  • All individuals that are 18 years old or older and do not hold a valid driver`s license, Class 7 Instruction Permit or Class 9 Farm Tractor Permit.
  • All individuals whose driving privileges have been canceled administratively by PEI`s Highway Safety Division under Fitness to Drive provisions.
  • All individuals that do not qualify to hold a driver`s license under Highway Safety Division`s Fitness to Drive provisions as approved by the Registrar. 
  • All individuals that no longer drive and their driver`s license is expired over 3 years.

Who can I contact for more information?

Phone: (902) 368-5228
Fax: (902) 368-5236

Published date: 
May 19, 2020
Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy

General Inquiries

Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy
3rd Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street,
P.O. Box 2000,
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5100
Fax: 902-368-5395

Highway Safety/Access PEI Inquiries: accesspeicharlottetown@gov.pe.ca

Road-Related Inquiries: roads@gov.pe.ca

All other TIE inquiries: 


Report Transportation Problems