A voluntary ID may only be issued to residents of Prince Edward Island, defined as a person who is:
- Employed for more than 30 days in any year
- Attending school or college in the province
- In the province and whose children attend school in the province
- Lives in the province
This document is valid for a five year period.
What do I need to get a voluntary ID?
Two pieces of the following must be shown:
- Current utility bills (electric, cable, oil delivery, phone, etc.)
- Formal rental or lease agreement
- Letter of employment on company letterhead (or pay stubs with name and address)
- Any mail from the Federal or Provincial Government (tax, GST, correspondence, etc.)
- Bank cheque with name and address
- Mortgage documents
- Credit card bill/bank statement
All of the above must have your name and current PEI address.
Voluntary IDs will only be issued to individuals who have three resource documents that include a photo, full legal name and signature or to those individuals who have a digital photo on the PEI Registry of Motor Vehicle database.
Do I need to provide a document with my photo?
Acceptable resource documents must have at least one photo document from the following list:
- Valid Canadian Passport (Birth Certificate must accompany Canadian Passport if document is being used for full legal name.)
- Aviation Document issued by Transport Canada
- Ontario/Quebec Health Card
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
- Permanent Resident Card (CIC) Citizenship Certificate with photo issued before Feb. 1, 2012 (CIC)
- Temporary Resident Permit (CIC) (IMM 1442)
- Refugee Protection Claimant Document (CIC) (IMM 1442)
- Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate Immigration Documents
- US Passport Card
- Canadian Forces ID
Plus at least two from this list:
- Birth Certificate
- Health Card
- Credit Card
- SIN Card
- Bank Card
- Any other recognized document with signature
A young person who has a valid birth certificate may be accompanied by his or her parents or legal guardian for identification and/or proof of residency purposes. The parent or legal guardian will be required to present his or her driver's license or voluntary ID.
Do I have to book an appointment if I don't have the proper documents?
If you do not have or cannot obtain proper documents, an appointment must be scheduled to determine if a voluntary ID may be issued
Phone: (902) 368-6225 Charlottetown area
Phone: (902) 432-2714 Summerside area
What is the fee?
The fee for a voluntary ID is
Valid for 5 years - $50.00
Valid for 1 year - $20.00
Duplicate ID - $20.00
Qualified individuals - No Charge
- All individuals that are 18 years old or older and do not hold a valid driver`s license, Class 7 Instruction Permit or Class 9 Farm Tractor Permit.
- All individuals whose driving privileges have been canceled administratively by PEI`s Highway Safety Division under Fitness to Drive provisions.
- All individuals that do not qualify to hold a driver`s license under Highway Safety Division`s Fitness to Drive provisions as approved by the Registrar.
- All individuals that no longer drive and their driver`s license is expired over 3 years.
Who can I contact for more information?
Phone: (902) 368-5228
Fax: (902) 368-5236