About the Youth Futures Council
The Youth Futures Council is a province-wide advisory body made up of 12 to 15 young people who represent the diversity of individuals, cultures and communities across Prince Edward Island.
This council is a voice for young Islanders on key youth issues.
What is the role of the Youth Futures Council?
The Youth Futures Council gives non-partisan recommendations and guidance to the premier and ministers of provincial government about ways to enhance services, policies, strategies and resources to best serve the interests of young Islanders
In addition, the council is positioned within government to:
- provide input and advice on issues that impact the lives of young Islanders;
- lead community activities for PEI youth in order to give others the opportunity to also influence government decision-making;
- serve as a focus group for departments during preliminary policy development;
- reach out and connect with other youth on current and developing government practices, frameworks, and consultations; and
- assist in developing retention strategies to keep young people in PEI to study, live and work.
Who are the members of the Youth Futures Council?
Members of the Youth Futures Council are:
- 16 to 29 years of age;
- passionate about creating better opportunities for young Islanders;
- active and involved in their community;
- committed to taking on a one-year or a two-year term; and
- a voice that represents diversity in perspective and life experience at the table.
What is YPEI?
YPEI is a series of province-wide initiatives lead by the Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning to ensure that young Islanders have the opportunity to participate and be involved in the decisions affecting them. YPEI is an important step in creating a culture where youth feel empowered and confident that they can provide meaningful contributions to their province.
The Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning recognizes that making PEI a great place for young people to work, grow, and thrive is a collaborative effort. Listening to young Islanders and working together will go a long way to ensure a variety of ideas and opinions are heard.
How can I get involved?
The Youth Futures Council will lead activities in the community to ensure that many youth voices can give input to government decision-making.
To subscribe to our mailing list for updates from the Youth Futures Council, please send us an email:
PEI Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning