George Coles Graduate Scholarship
If you are an Island resident graduating with your first undergraduate degree from UPEI or Maritime Christian College you may be eligible for the George Coles Graduate Scholarship valued at $2,000.
Am I eligible for the George Coles Graduate Scholarship?
To receive the George Coles Graduate Scholarship you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
You are a resident of P.E.I. which means you:
- Have graduated from an Island high school;
- Are a student who meets Island residency requirements as stated in the Provincial Student Loan criteria (you do not require a student loan to receive this award);
- A Canadian citizer or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) or a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and with a valid Social Insurance Number;
- It is your first undergraduate degree;
- You have applied to graduate;
- You provided your Social Insurance Number to your educational institution;
- You are not receiving financial support, from any third party agency or government department such as Skills PEI, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada, Worker’s Compensation, Employment Insurance, etc. in the school year the award is being requested;
- You have not received a government issued, sponsored or guaranteed loan from a province, state or territory other than PEI.
How do I apply for this graduate bursary?
There is no application for this award. UPEI and Maritime Christian College provide a list of eligible students to Student Financial Services each year.
If you are eligible, the award is conditionally credited to your school account in January. If you have already paid your tuition in full, your educational institution shall not release the funds to you until:
- The last day to drop classes has passed;
- The institution has determined that you have met the criteria for graduating; and
- You are included on the list of graduating students.
How much money will I receive through this scholarship?
The total graduate scholarship is $2,000 including the Island Student Award previously issued as a 4th year Bursary. If you received the $600 Island Student Award, you shall be awarded an additional $1,400 as a graduate scholarship.
If you received the 4th year Island Student Award ($600) and are ineligible to graduate, the additional $1,400 scholarship will be issued once you meet graduation criteria.
- The George Coles Bursary will not be awarded retroactively.
- You can only receive each award once.
What if I did not receive this bursary?
It is your responsibility to ensure your school has included your name on the list of recipients. If you have not received an award and feel you are eligible, you may submit an appeal form to your educational institution no later than August 31 of your eligible year.
Student Financial Services, Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning makes all decisions regarding the disbursement of the George Coles Bursary.
Who can I contact for information about the George Coles Graduate Scholarship?
Student Financial Services
Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
176 Great George St., P.O. Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144