Island Advantage - George Coles Graduate Scholarship
If you are a PEI resident graduating with your first undergraduate degree from UPEI or Maritime Christian College, you may be eligible for the George Coles Graduate Scholarship. The award is available for your first degree only. With the recently announced enhancements to the George Coles Graduate Scholarship, this bursary has increased to $2,200.
Am I eligible for the George Coles Graduate Scholarship?
To receive the George Coles Graduate Scholarship you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Are a student who meets PEI residency requirements as stated in the Provincial Student Loan criteria (you do not require a student loan to receive this award);
- A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) or a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and with a valid Social Insurance Number;
- It is your first undergraduate degree;
- You have applied to graduate;
- Provided your Social Insurance Number to your educational institution;
- Not receiving a tuition subsidy through Skills PEI and the Labour Market Development Agency;
How do I apply for this graduate bursary?
There is no application for this award. UPEI and Maritime Christian College provide a list of eligible students to Student Financial Services each year.
If you are eligible, the award is conditionally credited to your school account in January. If you have already paid your tuition in full, your educational institution shall not release the funds to you until:
- The last day to drop classes has passed;
- The institution has determined that you have met the criteria for graduating; and
- You are included on the list of graduating students.
How much money will I receive through this scholarship?
The total graduate scholarship is $2,200 (including the George Coles Bursary if previously issued as a 4th year Bursary). If you received the $1,100 George Coles Bursary in your 4th year, you shall be awarded an additional $1,100 once you meet graduation criteria.
|Award||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Total|
|George Coles Bursary||$2,200||$2,200||$2,200||$1,100||$7,700|
|George Coles Graduate Scholarship||$1,100||$1,100|
What if I did not receive this bursary?
It is your responsibility to ensure your school has included your name on the list of recipients. If you have not received an award and feel you are eligible, you may submit an appeal form to the Registrar's office at your educational institution no later than August 31 of your eligible year.
Student Financial Services makes all decisions regarding the disbursement of the George Coles Graduate Scholarship.
Who can I contact for information about the George Coles Graduate Scholarship?
Student Financial Services
Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
176 Great George St., P.O. Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144