Island Student Award
If you are an Island student in a full-time program at UPEI or Maritime Christian College, you could receive an Island Student Award in your second, third and, if not graduating, fourth year of study.
Funds will be issued directly into your school account as follows:
- Second year - $400;
- Third year - $600; and
- Fourth year - $600
Am I eligible for the Island Student Award?
To receive the Island Student Award, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
You are a resident of P.E.I. which means you:
- Have graduated from an Island high school;
- Are a student who meets Island residency requirements as stated in the Provincial Student Loan criteria (you do not require a student loan to receive this award);
- A Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) or a protected person within the meaning of subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and with a valid Social Insurance Number;
- You are enrolled in post-secondary education for the first time in your first degree/diploma/certificate program at UPEI or Maritime Christian College;
- You have not earned a certificate, diploma, or degree from any post secondary educational institution;
- You are a full-time student at UPEI or Maritime Christian College in your first undergraduate degree, diploma or certificate program;
- You are enrolled full-time (nine semester hours) for a period of at least 24 continuous weeks;
- You provided your Social Insurance Number to your educational institution;
- You have not previously received the Island Student Award for that particular year of study;
- Not receiving a tuition subsidy through Skills PEI and the Labour Market Development Agency
Please note: If you are in an articulated program or a non-traditional program stream, contact Student Financial Services for specific eligibility criteria related to your program of study.
How do I apply for an Island Student Award?
You do not need to apply for this award. UPEI and Maritime Christian College will provide a list of eligible students to Student Financial Services.
The award is conditionally credited to your school account in January and funds are released after you have been enrolled for 24 continuous weeks, usually the end of February.
Please note: The Island Skills Award will not be awarded retroactively.
What if I did not receive this bursary?
It is your responsibility to ensure your school has included your name on the list of recipients. If you have not received an award and feel you are eligible, you may submit an appeal form to your educational institution no later than August 31 of your eligible year.
Student Financial Services, Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning makes all decisions regarding the disbursement of the Island Skills Award.
Student Financial Services will issue payments directly to the post-secondary institution only.
Students enrolled in a second degree program such as a Bachelor of Education or Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, or a Masters or PhD program are not eligible for these awards.
Who can I contact about the Island Student Award?
Student Financial Services
Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
176 Great George St., P.O. Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4640
Fax: (902) 368-6144