Red Seal Certification

If you have a Red Seal endorsement in your designated trade, you will be able to work in any province or territory in Canada without further testing.

How do I get my Red Seal certification?

You must pass an Interprovincial Red Seal exam to determine if you meet the national standard for your particular Red Seal trade. Trade experts from across the country develop the examination according to the Canadian Council of Directors of Apprenticeship (CCDA) standards.

How do I know if my trade has Red Seal certification?

View the full list of designated trades in PEI.

Do I have to apply for the Red Seal Program?

You don’t have to apply for the Red Seal Program.  

If you would like to write an interprovincial (Red Seal) exam, you will need to do one of the following:

  • Complete the requirements of your apprenticeship program and be approved by your training officer to write the interprovincial exam; or
  • Complete an application to challenge the Red Seal exam and be approved to write by the Apprenticeship Section.

When you pass the exam, you will receive your Red Seal endorsement on your Certificate of Qualification.

Where can I find more information about the Red Seal Program?

For more information, visit the Red Seal website [external link]. 

Apprenticeship Section

Atlantic Technology Centre

Suite 212, 176 Great George Street

PO Box 2000

Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8


Telephone: (902) 368-4460

Fax: (902) 368-6144


Published date: 
May 19, 2016
Workforce and Advanced Learning

General Inquiries

Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
3rd Floor, Shaw Building
105 Rochford Street 
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 368-6290
Fax: (902) 368-4242