Youth Apprenticeship Program (ASAP)
Youth Apprenticeship is for students wanting to explore their trade career options and gain a head-start on the post secondary apprenticeship training program while working toward their Grade 12 diploma.
Am I eligible for the Youth Apprenticeship Program?
You may be eligible for this program if you are:
• 16 years of age;
• Enrolled in school; and
• Working for a wage in a designated trade with a suitable employer.
How do I apply for youth apprenticeship?
1. Find a job in your preferred designated trade.
2. Submit a completed Apprenticeship Application Form [PDF – 163 Kb].
3. Once you are approved for the program, you will receive a skills logbook to record your training progress.
What happens when I finish Grade 12?
When you get your Grade 12 diploma you can:
- Continue working and continue your apprenticeship in the post-secondary Apprenticeship Training Program. Just inform Apprenticeship staff that you will be continuing.
- Continue trades training in a pre-employment course at Holland College, and then enter the Apprenticeship Training Program; or
- Try other interests and come back to apprenticeship training at a later date.
Can I get credit for my work through the youth program?
Yes, the supervised hours and skills that you record in your logbook as a youth apprentice can be transferred to the post-secondary Apprenticeship Training Program.
If you achieve a mark of 70 per cent or higher in a high school trade course, you can transfer up to 110 hours per course to post-secondary apprenticeship training, providing the course has Provincial Apprenticeship Board approval. Contact the Youth Apprenticeship Coordinator to have your file and hours transferred.
What is the Youth Apprenticeship Award?
If you are registered in the Youth Apprenticeship Program with at least 250 hours of paid work experience recorded in your logbook, you can apply for a $1,000 youth apprenticeship award in your graduating year. The award is a combined $500 bursary and $500 tuition credit to Holland College.
Who can I contact for information about the Youth Apprenticeship Program?
Youth Apprenticeship Coordinator
Atlantic Technology Centre
Suite 212, 176 Great George Street
PO Box 2000
Telephone: (902) 368-4460
Fax: (902) 368-6144