Youth Internship Program (SYnC)
If you are between 15 and 30 years of age and want to develop skills related to your career interests, you may be eligible for a youth internship through the SYnC (Supporting Youth in Careers) program. This youth employment initiative introduces Island youth to relevant work experience in the areas of small businesses, entrepreneurship, and career awareness, with an overall focus on information and communication technologies.
What internship placements are offered?
Industry Canada provides funding for youth interns to work for one of four Intern Host Organizations (IHOs) for short-term paid employment contracts (roughly 12 weeks).
Program #1: Technology in the Trades
Intern Host Organization: Skills Canada PEI
Technology in the Trades allows youth between the ages of 15-30 years, with some post-secondary experience, to explore career and educational options in the area of skilled trades on Prince Edward Island. This exploration includes classroom shadowing at various Holland College campuses, as well as visits to local work sites that incorporate skilled trades.
Program #2: The Hive
Intern Host Organization: Culture PEI
The Hive fosters entrepreneurial skills in recent cultural graduates who have an idea for a cultural or artistic entrepreneurial venture, but require specific business-related knowledge to take their idea to the next level. Participants work full-time on setting up a business with the help and guidance of peers and industry leaders. Participants complete a “business bootcamp,” through which they learn skills in the area of marketing, budgeting, and business planning.
Program #3: Propel
Intern Host Organization: Aerospace and Defence Association of PEI
Propel provides an exciting chance to explore career possibilities in the aerospace sector on PEI. This program includes classroom shadowing in local aerospace educational programs, visits to work sites, and mentorship from a field professional.
Program #4: IT Garage
Location: Charlottetown, Montague, and Summerside
IT Garage is a video game and software development incubator that hires interns to work in teams to develop their own product. The Garage facilitates industry mentors, coaches, and guest speakers to present and work with the interns to introduce, encourage, and foster new IT start-ups. IT Garage also provides an excellent opportunity for interns to network and to showcase their skills to potential employers.
Am I eligible for this intern program?
To be eligible for this program you must:
- be between the ages of 15 and 30 at the time of intake;
- have achieved some skill at the post-secondary level, which means you must have more than secondary school achievement;
- You would qualify if you are in university or college as a mature student and are pursuing a post-secondary course of study.
- You would not qualify if you are a high school dropout with an equivalency course or courses.
- intend to gain ICT skills and knowledge;
- meet the job requirements of the Intern Host Organization, which should include ICT-related activities;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada and be legally entitled to work in Canada; and
- not be receiving Employment Insurance (EI) benefits while employed under the YI program.
How do I apply for the SYnC internship?
Intern Host Organizations advertise positions through the Canada Job Bank throughout the year, as positions arise.
Who can I contact for more information about SYnC?
Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Atlantic Technology Centre, Suite 212
176 Great George Street, Charlottetown.
Phone: (902) 620-3980
Fax: (902) 368-6144