Island farmers welcoming visitors on Open Farm Day
It’s that time of year again – Open Farm Day is being celebrated across the region on Sunday, September 17, 2017. Farmers in Prince Edward Island will once again open their doors to give the public a first-hand look at how local farms contribute to Canadian agriculture.
There is a wide range of farms participating which cover a variety of commodities including dairy, potato, market garden, sheep, beef, poultry, blueberries, bees/honey, mixed farms, vegetable, organic, orchards and more. Organizers have partnered with the PEI Woodlot Owners Association and three woodlots are a part of the tour as well. Farms will demonstrate their operations, answer questions from the public and allow visitors to experience what life is like for farmers across Prince Edward Island! Open Farm Day gives people of all ages the opportunity to see where their food comes from and how farms operate.
A complete list of participating farms is posted on the PEI Agriculture Awareness Committee webpage: www.peiagsc.ca/openfarmday.
- Open Farm Day in Atlantic Canada is funded, in part, by Growing Forward 2, the five-year (2013-2018) policy framework agreement between the federal and provincial governments.
- There are more than 8,500 farms and more than one million hectares of farmland in Atlantic Canada.
- Last year, 29 participating farms on Prince Edward Island welcomed 5,500 visitors on Open Farm Day.
“Open Farm Day is the perfect time to meet local farmers and experience life on the farm. I encourage Islanders to come see the world-class products our farmers and farm families help bring to our kitchen tables here at home and around the world every day.”
- The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
"One reason why we are Canada’s Food Island is the innovative, hard-working farmers who accomplish big things, even in small Prince Edward Island. I encourage everyone to take part in Open Farm Day and see where their food comes from, learn how it is produced and meet the people who demonstrate every day what makes us a mighty Island."
- PEI Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Alan McIsaac
“Open Farm Day on Prince Edward Island gives farmers a chance to highlight their farming operations & to increase the agriculture awareness for all. The day includes interactions to learn about life on the farm & to ensure a trust in the agri-food industry.”
- Bernadette Forrester, Chair Agriculture Awareness Committee
For more information, media may contact:
Senior Communications Officer
PEI Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
Regional Communications Manager
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
2017 Open Farm Day Coordinator
PEI Agriculture Awareness Committee