Island students studying out of province asked to notify Health PEI to ensure coverage

Islanders studying out of province are reminded to notify Health PEI of their plans to be out of the province to ensure they have appropriate medical coverage.

Islanders who are studying within Canada and have a valid PEI health card are insured through Health PEI for emergency health services or sudden illness care. Emergency care includes visiting an emergency department or walk-in clinic for a life-threatening or sudden illness, and being admitted to hospital for an emergency procedure or treatment.

For non-emergency care, prior approval is required from Health PEI for the service to be insured. Examples of non-emergency services include elective surgeries and treatments, or treatment for a chronic condition or ailment.

Islanders studying outside of Canada are strongly encouraged to consider purchasing additional private insurance.

Students can notify Health PEI by calling the Medicare Office toll-free at 1-800-321-5492.
For more information, visit  PEI Health Card.
Media contact:

Amanda Hamel
Health PEI
(902) 368-6135

General Inquiries

Health PEI
16 Garfield Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6130
Fax: 902-368-6136

Your Health Privacy

Media Inquiries
Phone: 902-368-6135

Health PEI Board of Directors

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.

If you are unsure what to do about a health issue or if you need health information, call 8-1-1.

811 logo