New action plan and supports for tourism industry
A new action plan is available to help guide the tourism industry through the 2021 tourism season.
“It feels great to have an action plan in place that the industry can turn to,” said David Groom, Chair of the Tourism PEI Board of Directors. “We know we will have to continue to pivot and adjust throughout the 2021 tourism season, but this action plan provides the tools we need to work with whatever comes our way.”
“We’ve been working around the clock for the last year, together with the tourism industry, as we navigate the toughest challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, with this action plan and the Atlantic Bubble opening next month, we’re on the road to recovery and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Brighter days are ahead for Prince Edward Island’s tourism industry and I can’t wait for us to get back to doing what we do best, delivering world-class hospitality to our visitors.”
- Hon. Matthew MacKay, Minister of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture
In addition to the action plan, new supports for the industry were discussed by Minister MacKay at today’s Tourism Industry Forum, including:
- $3 million to create a Tourism Activation Grant Program to provide tourism operators with a non-repayable grant to assist with eligible costs associated with opening for the 2021 season. More details on this program will be available in April;
- $1 million to create an Air Access Recovery Program with YYG Charlottetown Airport to retain and restore air carriers to PEI;
- Funding to Tourism Industry Association of PEI to hire a Tourism Operator Advisor to help the industry navigate available supports and programs.
“We are extremely pleased that the Government of PEI has recognized the importance of air access for our province by providing this funding for an Air Access Recovery Program,” said Doug Newson, CEO of YYG Charlottetown Airport. “We look forward to working together to rebuild and grow critical air service options that will be vital to our economic recovery, both for our tourism industry and business sectors.”
“The tourism industry has seen unprecedented challenges in the past year, with many questions left unanswered. We are pleased to be working with the Province of PEI to offer a Tourism Operator Advisor position that will help industry navigate programs and chart their path ahead,” said Corryn Clemence, CEO of the Tourism Industry Association of PEI. “Communication and collaboration has never been more important than it is in these times, and we are pleased to see the engagement from both industry and government. The tourism industry is working diligently to prepare for the 2021 season and looks forward to reviving our industry as one of the key economic drivers on Prince Edward Island.”
These government investments were included in the 2021-2022 provincial budget.
Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture
The 2021 PEI Tourism Action Plan was created by Twenty31 Consulting Inc. through engagement with the Tourism PEI Board and the following:
- Tourism Industry Association of PEI
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
- Central Coastal Tourism Partnership
- Discover Charlottetown
- Explore Summerside
- Food Island Partnership
- Golf PEI
- Island East Tourism Group
- Meetings and Conventions PEI
- Tourism Cavendish Beach