Office of Immigration expanding to Summerside
A new office of immigration is opening in Summerside to improve access to services for newcomers and employers in the region.
The office, located at 268 Water St., will open with five staff including:
- a bilingual employer outreach and marketing officer to market immigration and pathways to PEI employers and address workforce gaps;
- a program officer to provide information to employers and newcomers about program eligibility and assess applications;
- a senior program integrity officer to manage the office and work with federal-provincial colleagues to maintain the integrity of immigration programs in Canada; and
- two program integrity officers to process files and deter fraud related to provincial immigration policies and programs.
“Immigration is really important to the overall growth and success of Prince Edward Island and newcomers contribute greatly to our social and economic fabric. Newcomers are working when they arrive and many are young adults with young families, which bring positive changes to our province. An office of immigration in Summerside, encourages more of this growth in Prince County.”
- Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture Minister Matthew MacKay
“We are very excited to have this new office opening in the heart of our city that will provide critical services for newcomers and help them feel more at home in the area,” said Summerside Mayor Basil Stewart. “The collaboration between municipal and provincial governments to create this office means people will have easier access to services and immigration in the Summerside area will be strengthened.”
The office will open at 268 Water St. by end of this year.
Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture