Operational funding awarded to four organizations to support Island women
Today, the Minister Responsible for the Status of Women, Darlene Compton announced in the House, four organizations that will receive core, operational funding through the Interministerial Women’s Secretariat, to support the valuable work that they do in our Island communities.
The following organizations will each receive $20,000 in annual operational funding for three years:
- Women’s Network PEI, provides a forum for the voices of PEI women, and opportunities for women to realize power, knowledge, skills, abilities, vision and financial security.
- The PEI Coalition for Women in Government, a non-partisan organization dedicated to advancing women’s leadership in the political, civic, and democratic life in PEI.
- The East Prince Women’s Information Centre, provides a meeting place for all women, and serves as an information and referral service to community resources.
- Justice Options for Women, provides support and advisement for safe and effective justice options for women experiencing family violence.
Previous to this funding announcement, none of these groups had access to core funding from either the provincial or federal government to support their work.
“We know more needs to be done to assist community groups with their work to support Island women and this is a great step. These organizations will now be able devote more resources to the important services and supports that they provide Island women every day.”
- Minister Responsible for Status of Women, Darlene Compton
The Interministerial Women’s Secretariat provides funding to community organizations that support projects to increase awareness and prevention of violence towards women through project-based funding. This is the first time core funding for these organizations has been announced.
Department of Finance