PEI Action Plan to Prevent and Mitigate Opioid Overdoses and Deaths
The purpose of this action plan is to prevent and mitigate unintentional opioid overdoses and deaths among youth and adults in Prince Edward Island in PEI. The scope of the action plan includes the following areas of focus:
- Surveillance of opioid overdoses and deaths,
- Rapid response protocol to address a sudden increase in opioid-related overdoses in PEI,
- Harm reduction, including access to naloxone, communications and education, and opioid replacement therapy,
- Appropriate prescribing and dispensing of prescription opioids, and,
- Diversion of prescription opioids.
These areas are considered immediate priorities to prevent and mitigate opioid overdose and death.