2020 Jobs for Youth Program
The Jobs for Youth Program, delivered by the Employment Development Agency, offers wage support for employers to create employment opportunities for PEI students.
The Employment Development Agency is committed to modernizing the delivery of the funding programs offered by the Agency and excited to announce some changes to the Jobs for Youth Program for the upcoming program year.
What is changing in 2020?
The 2020 Jobs for Youth Program changes include:
- Lowering the minimum age of eligibility for students from 16 to 15;
- Moving the application deadline (for employers) to March 31;
- Announcing the approved employers in early May on our Departmental website;
- Providing students an opportunity to apply directly to employer for positions that interest them; and
- Partnering with WorkPEI to provide an innovative technical platform to assist students and employers with the recruitment, application and hiring processes.
Is my organization eligible for funding?
Non-profit organizations, municipalities, private businesses and some public sector organizations are eligible to apply for funding.
What positions are eligible for funding?
Any type of legal work activity can be assigned to the position except domestic work or activities which contribute to the enhancement of personal property not used solely for business purposes.
- Positions will normally be approved for eight weeks (some up to twelve) and should conclude by the end of August of the current year.
- Positions created through this program should not reduce or otherwise affect the security of the work hours of an existing employee.
- Positions receiving wage support from other provincial or federal boards, agencies or departments are not eligible.
Who can I hire for a Jobs for Youth position?
Youth hired through the Jobs for Youth program must meet the following criteria:
- Be an active student with the intention of returning to school in the next school year;
- Be a PEI resident that is eligible to work in Canada; and
- Be 15 to 29 years of age.
When is the deadline for applications?
Employers must submit their applications on or before March 31st.
What do I need to apply to the Jobs for Youth Program?
You will need to provide detailed information about your organization including:
- CRA business account number;
- Workers Compensation Board account number; and
- PEI Business/Corporate Registry number.
You will also need to provide a clear description of the employment opportunity including required skill, wage rate and employment start and end dates.
You can apply via the online form below, or you can complete the PDF version of the form.
How long will it take to complete the online application?
The online form will take between 30-45 minutes to complete, depending on how much information you enter. You should have all supporting documents ready to upload.
You must complete the online application process in one sitting. You cannot save the form but you can request a copy of the information you submit.
For questions regarding the Provincial Post-Secondary Program please contact SkillsPEI at 1-877-491-4766 or visit www.skillspei.ca.