Apply for a Development Permit

For most construction projects in Prince Edward Island, you must have both a development permit and a building permit before starting construction. Find more information on obtaining a building permit.

A development permit specifies how land will be used, how the structure is located on the land, how the structure is to be serviced for water and sewer and highway access, as well as, any potential impacts from proposed development or construction. It ensures that any projects are done in accordance with the provincial Planning Act. This includes information on setbacks, or the minimum distance a structure or sewage disposal system must be set back from adjacent property boundaries, roadways, bodies of water, or other protected areas. Refer to the Development/Sewage Disposal Systems Setbacks Guide for minimum requirements.

A development permit is required before:

  • Starting construction of any building or structure;
  • Locating any building or structure, or changing the location of one on a lot;
  • Making structural changes that change the outside dimensions of any building or structure;
  • Changing the use of any building, structure, or land, or intensifying any non-conforming use which may include changing the use of the structure/land from one class of land to another (example. residential to commercial) or an intensification of use of a structure where potential land use conflicts may cause issues impacting surrounding land uses and environmental features;
  • Locating a travel  trailer on any lot as the main or accessory use, other than in a travel trailer park where utility services are provided; or
  • Creating a mobile home park.

Where do I get a development permit?

The location of your project will determine where you apply for your permit:

  • Municipalities of Charlottetown, Stratford and Summerside issue their own development and building permits. Contact their respective municipal offices for more information. You can find contact details in the Municipal Directory.
  • Municipalities with an official plan and land-use bylaws issue their own development permits so you must apply directly to the municipality for the permit. However, you must apply to the Lands Division (details below) through the provincial government for a Building Permit for these jurisdictions. To determine if a PEI municipality has an official plan, view the Municipal Boundaries Map.
  • If your property is located outside a municipality, or within a municipality without an official plan and land-use bylaws, you must apply to the Lands Division for both development and building permits. Details for applying for a development permit online are provided below.

How do I apply for a development permit from the Province?

If you have questions or need help with your development permit application, book a one-on-one meeting with a Permit Coordinator  virtually or in-person in Charlottetown, Summerside, Montague, or O’Leary. You can meet with staff by:

Fill out the online form using the blue button at the bottom of this page with the following information:

  • Contact details of the property owner (and applicant, if different than the owner);
  • Property information like property ID (PID), location, and lot number;
    • Lot number can be found on your deed or survey plan.
  • Current use of the property and type of proposed development;
  • Operational details like number of staff and on-site parking for all development types other than residential;
  • Dimensions of the proposed development;
  • Access and servicing information (if applicable):
    • New driveway or relocation of existing driveway;
    • Sewer and water services; and
    • Site assessment category.
  • Technical information:
    • Foundation type; and
    • Siding and roof material (if applicable).
  • A detailed property map sketch that notes the following:
    • All property lines including their lengths;
    • Road(s), including their name(s);
    • All buildings and structures;
    • Any watercourse, wetlands, stream, waterfront top of bank, and/or sand dune located on the property; and
    • Arrow showing the natural slope of the land.
    • A sample map is available for reference.

You can also complete and sign the Development Permit Application and email it to or drop it off with all required documents to one of the offices listed at the bottom of this page.

What happens after I apply for a development permit online?

After the development application is received, it is reviewed by a Permit Coordinator and a Client Service Officer will call to collect payment. 

The processing time begins after full payment is received and varies depending on the nature of the proposed development and required assessments. A site inspection may also be required before a development permit can be issued. A decision as to whether a permit is denied or approved may be issued within 30 days for some routine residential developments. More complex applications require more time to process and collaboration with various other departments and agencies.

What is the fee for a development permit?

You can find a full schedule of fees in the Subdivision and Development Regulations.  

How do I check the status of my development permit application?

If you made an application for a development permit, you can review the permit status using your property ID (PID) and the date you made full payment for the permit.

Who can I contact for more information?

The Lands Division can be contacted by email at or:

J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Access PEI
41 Wood Islands Hill
PO Box 1500
Montague, PE C0A 1R0

Access PEI
120 Heather Moyse Drive
Summerside, PE C1N 5Y8

Access PEI O’Leary
45 East Drive
PO Box 8
O’Leary, PE C0B 1V0

Housing, Land and Communities

General Inquiries

Inspection Services
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE C1A 6B8

Telephone: 902-368-5280
Fax: 902-368-5526