Apply for PEI Art Bank Acquisition
As a professional visual artist or craftsperson living in Prince Edward Island for the past 12 consecutive months, you are invited to apply to have your work considered for acquisition for the PEI Art Bank Collection. Please use the online form below to apply to the acquisition committee before February 23, 2018.
For purposes of this program, you are a “professional” as long as you:
- Have specialized training in your artistic field (not necessarily academic);
- Are recognized as such by your artistic peers;
- Have a history of public presentation; and
- Are committed to devoting more time to the visual arts if it becomes financially feasible.
Is my work eligible for consideration?
The Prince Edward Island Art Bank is a working collection with most items displayed in reception and high traffic areas of public buildings and is also available for educational use. To be considered for acquisition, your work must be suitable (in form, size, condition and media) for immediate accommodation in a public space. Installations, performance pieces, works containing audio or video components and works with unusual display requirements cannot be considered for acquisition.
- You may submit a maximum of two completed works. (Please complete a separate application for each submission.)
- If your work consists of a series of pieces, the total number submitted must not exceed ten.
- Your work must have been completed during the last two years.
- Incomplete works will not be considered.
What do I need to complete the online application?
You will be asked to provide:
- Current contact information;
- Artwork details including title, medium, size, completion date and purchase price;
- A brief written description of your work, i.e. subject matter, process used, symbolic significance;
- A resumé noting your education, experience, professional and artistic achievements; and
- Colour digital image(s) depicting your completed, display-ready work. Please ensure the image is at sufficient resolution to be reproduced for jury viewing and that its title corresponds with the artwork title on the application form.
Please note: Members of the selection committee may ask to view your artwork before making any decision.
How long will it take to complete the application?
If you have the above items gathered, you can complete the online form in less than 30 minutes.
What is the selection process?
The peer adjudication committee will consist of three members of the arts community and may include artists, dealers, collectors, curators and other knowledgeable individuals. No individual having a financial interest in the acquisition may sit on the committee. To ensure a variety of input, no jury member may sit on two juries in succession.
Selected works will be announced in a press release. Names of jurors will be kept confidential.
If your submission is selected, you will be contacted within two weeks to complete a purchase agreement.
To recommend someone for the adjudication committee, go to Nominate PEI Art Bank Acquisition Jury Member.