Apply for a Registered Technician Licence (Electrical)
A registered technician’s licence is required to perform or supervise electrical work within a restricted area of electrical work in PEI. In order to become registered you must have at least one year’s experience in an appropriate or related area of restricted electrical work and have:
- successfully completed a formal training program by the manufacturer of the electrical system or equipment being installed or by an organization approved by the Chief Electrical Inspector,
- attained a mark of no less than 65 per cent in an approved exam, or
- successfully completed a certified or approved home inspection program.
A licence also may be issued if the Chief Electrical Inspector is satisfied you were working in a restricted area of electrical work on or before July 30, 2002.
For more information, refer to Section 6(2), pages 5-6 of the Electrical Inspection Act Regulations.
Your Restricted Technician Licence will expire on December 31st and must be renewed each year.
What information do I need to apply online?
You will need the following information or documents:
- A description of the technical specialty of the electrical work to be performed;
- Documentation indicating your related experience and qualifications;
- Contact information for your most recent employer in the area of specialty related to this application; and
- Full payment.
How long will it take to complete the application?
With the required documentation, you can complete the application in less than 10 minutes
What is the fee for a restricted technician licence?
The fee for a one-year licence is $15.
How long will it take to receive my licence?
Allow at least two weeks for your application to be processed.
Add a Reminder
Click “Add a reminder” (right-hand margin) to request notification when it’s time to renew your Restricted Technician Licence. An automated message will be sent to the email address you provide on the date you select. Please note: All Registered Technician Licence expire on December 31st of each year. Please schedule your reminder email accordingly.