Apply to the Youth Futures Council
Young Islanders want to be engaged and involved in decisions that affect them. The Youth Futures Council is a province-wide youth advisory body that will work to help focus policy and programs in a manner that best services the interests of young Islanders.
What does the Youth Futures Council do?
The Youth Futures Council advises the premier and ministers on ways to enhance programs, policies, strategies and resources for youth. Functions of the Council include:
- providing input and advice on issues relating to, and affecting, young Islanders
- leading community engagement activities that will offer opportunities for a broad range of youth voices to have input into government decision-making
- serving as a sounding board for departments during preliminary policy development
- engaging youth in current and developing government processes, frameworks, and consultations; and
- assisting in youth retention strategies.
Who can be appointed to the Youth Futures Council?
The Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning is seeking 12 to 15 individuals who are:
- 16 to 29 years of age
- passionate about creating better opportunities for young Islanders or are engaged within their communities
- diverse in respect to perspectives and life experiences
- committed to either a one-year term or two-year term
Will I get paid?
Council members serve on a volunteer basis without remuneration, but are reimbursed for expenses incurred in serving.
What is the time commitment of the Youth Futures Council?
Membership is a two year term with half the inaugural members appointed for a one year term to ensure only half the members turn over in any given year. At a minimum, members are expected to participate in four meetings a year. Additional time will be required to participate in various engagement activities; members should be prepared to volunteer an estimated 30 hours a year.
How do I apply?
The application can only be filled out online. If you interested in applying, click the link below to begin the process.